The Student Room Group

Bad things won't stop happening. I'm fearful for the future

2016 has been one of the worst years of my life and I'm so overwhelmed right now. Every time I do something to try and turn my life around, another bad thing happens to knock me back down. It's as though I'm not allowed to have any longer than a week of contentment.

I just found out that I achieved a pass in my Masters. I put so much time and money into that course and in the end I get a pass. It feels as though all of the struggling with money over the past year, the battling depression so that I could push through and meet deadlines were all for nothing. I'm devastated and wonder what else is going to be thrown at me next. Will I lose my job or someone I care about?

How do you cope with things when almost nothing good is happening?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
2016 has been one of the worst years of my life and I'm so overwhelmed right now. Every time I do something to try and turn my life around, another bad thing happens to knock me back down. It's as though I'm not allowed to have any longer than a week of contentment.

I just found out that I achieved a pass in my Masters. I put so much time and money into that course and in the end I get a pass. It feels as though all of the struggling with money over the past year, the battling depression so that I could push through and meet deadlines were all for nothing. I'm devastated and wonder what else is going to be thrown at me next. Will I lose my job or someone I care about?

How do you cope with things when almost nothing good is happening?

A while ago I had an aweful series of months with many struggles and I couldn't see how I would be able to cope. I didn't see that life coud be anything but horrible from then on. It got better though and it will for you too. You may face struggles again, I have as well, but you will move past them just as you will move past this.
For me it really helped to have therapy which taught me a) how to cope with and move past my (then) current issues and b) how to manage future issues. I personally found group therapy best out of what I tried cos until then I felt very alone and it helped me to open up to people and not isolate myself. I also took antidepressants for a while which helped me to drag myself out of a near crisis and focus more on recovery.
You can visit your doctor and discuss what might help you and you can also check out mind.org, sane.org and services like samaritans for information, advice and support.

That's the more medical side, and there is also more lifestyle focused changes you can make to help yourself. A big one is finding something you enjoy and trying to give yourself some me time, but you can check out mind and sane.org for more on that.

It can be difficult to start, but don't give up. Keep at it and try to focus on the good moments. I used a mood diary to help me with that and also to track my mood and side effects while I started ADs. I found one on my phone, but you can just get a normal diary, make a key of faces or colours to say your overall mood each day and write down a few comments for each day. Try to find at least one good thing, even if it's something little like a supprisingly nice cup of tea.

I know it isn't easy to believe, there are days I still don't believe it myself, but it does get better and how you are feeling now and how the world seems is not how it will always be. Hang in there and keep trying with ways to help you feel better. You are not alone either and there is a bunch of support out there once you start looking. You can google or ask your doctor about support groups near you or even look at TSRs very own Mental Health Support Society. I found that things got a lot better once I started opeing up more and not trying to hide everything and cope with it all on my own. You can also confide in a friend or look into counselling. It can help to have a regular time to step back and talk things through with someody so it doesn't all pile up so much.

Quick Reply

Latest