Schott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm having two papers remarked for one of my A Levels because I was 1 UMS mark under the grade boundary. The subject was philosophy.

I know they can go down but wondered how common this is? Surely the examiners are human?

Just wanted to know from anyone who's had remarks whether their mark went up or down and by how many UMS marks. Essay subjects for AQA especially. Thanks
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
Yes, the examiners are human and yes, your grade could go down. Although I hope it doesn't in your case.

If you think you did better and your teachers think you deserve a higher grade (from reading your exam scripts) then there is a possibility that your grade could go up. However, the examiners do give you a certain amount of points for a reason - they knew that you'd only get a particular grade. I have known philosophy grades to go up and down... it's quite subjective although the examiners do have a rough guideline to follow. I'm with OCR by the way so it could be different for you. All the best. I hope you get the grade you want/need/deserve!
Laus
Report 12 years ago
It looks like you're going to Cambridge anyway! Why are you so worried?
cheerios
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i was 1 mark off an A for classics so i sent my lowest module (which was a c ) off for a remark because my teacher said i was working a an A standard all year. Anyway i have just got it back and they made no change to the grade:mad: We are now asking for a photocopy and aparently we can contest it even now but it looks unlikely that my grade will change.
hope things go better for you
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you think you did well in the paper, do you honestly think it's likely you'd go from 1 mark off an A to a C? I think it's worth taking the risk even if you go down like 10 marks. But I don't know much about philosophy A-level. As far as AQA goes, my English Literature GCSE went up 9 marks from a very high B to a solid A. Still think I deserved an A* though - I blame the coursework.
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They take your highest mark anyway though don't they?
Gooner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tony_ron)
I'm having two papers remarked for one of my A Levels because I was 1 UMS mark under the grade boundary. The subject was philosophy.

I know they can go down but wondered how common this is? Surely the examiners are human?

Just wanted to know from anyone who's had remarks whether their mark went up or down and by how many UMS marks. Essay subjects for AQA especially. Thanks
I was reading a newspaper report from The Independent last night, and it gave an example of an examiner who marks by hand (for an English based subject, I think it was), but needs to put her marks onto the examination system by hand. She marked the candidates work as 24/60, but by human error she gave them 34 instead, probably pushing them up an entire grade or perhaps two for that paper. She didn't notice until after she had closed the system down on her computer, and by that time she couldn't change her mark. Basically, what I'm saying is that your grade could go up drastically (simply by means of a clerical mistake) or could likewise go drastically down, because of a clerical mistake.

I also read that some examiners who mark on-screen (using things like ePen etc) have a traffic light at the side to tell them how fast they're marking, and the more papers they mark, the more they get paid. It said that there were obviously some examiners who were therefore taking the system for granted by chosing speed over accuracy so they could get more money. This new examining system is quite crap in that respect. I much prefer the idea that examiners are given an allocated script allowance. It leads to much fewer problems later on:rolleyes:
Schott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Righto thanks. Yeah I did get into my uni which is fab but it'd still be nice to get the A in Philosophy, especially after being so close!

On a similar matter, my RS marks were 7 off an A overall - is that pretty much too large a gap to improve simply through remarks? I imagine I'd have to send back all 3 papers in order to have a chance to go up that much and even then it might not work and I'd have lost over 100 quid. Any thoughts?
akotta
Report 12 years ago
if it doesn't affect your university place then there isn't a lot of point, just because it's a lot of money and there's the chance that it either wont change or will even go down maybe...but if you really want it and will regret not doing it then you might as well, lol.
waleed_01
Report 11 years ago
Im worried about remarking aswell. I got my AS result two days ago in 3 subjects. I thought i got two As and a B, but just today, i realised i was wrong. Being new to edexcel a levels, i didnt know much about the final grade and the uniform boundary marks. I got a total of 239 in chemistry (240 is an A) which isn't exactly an A as my friend told me today. You think a remark in 2 modules will help? I dont have the choice of resitting in Jan at the moment since im applying for American and English universities this December and the Jan grades dont come out till March, way later than the final application deadlines. How will i explain to my parents i only have 1 A, not 2?

Advice from people who've been in similar situations would be nice. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads