The Student Room Group

Anyone else struggling with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) January exams combo?

How are people coping? I've struggled with depression since adolescence and I've just about reached the point where I can view the pain it causes me objectively. I can get on with my life without descending too deeply into negative thought patterns and ascribing the darkness I feel around me to something inherently 'wrong' within myself. But viewing the pain and darkness with a cool detachment doesn't stop it from being there. It simply seems to have transmutated it from something I feel in my mind, heart and soul to something I feel in my body. This is, admittedly, more bearable, but it is still rendering me incapable of getting out of bed in the morning and feeling well. Also, because life is cruel and relentless, I need to study for my final year January exams. Simmering January exams with SAD seems to be generating just enough pressure for a full blown major depressive relapse. This has happened to me every single year since starting university (I'm now in my fourth year). I'm doing everything within my power to prevent it from happening again... including complete avoidance of revision. How do I manage to study for my exams without descending back into depression? I simply don't have the energy or motivation to study. Is anyone else struggling with a similar conundrum? Sorry for the ramble, hope this makes some sort of sense to somebody!
I completely understand this - I have exams in less than 2 weeks and for the last month I've been in a full blown depressive relapse. I only told student support at uni yesterday *rolls eyes* and am applying for mitigating circumstances because I don't have the energy or motivation to do anything, and at this rate will be lucky to turn up to my exams let along pass them!!

I know this isn't the most helpful of responses because I have no advice to give, but know that you're not alone in feeling this way!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I completely understand this - I have exams in less than 2 weeks and for the last month I've been in a full blown depressive relapse. I only told student support at uni yesterday *rolls eyes* and am applying for mitigating circumstances because I don't have the energy or motivation to do anything, and at this rate will be lucky to turn up to my exams let along pass them!!

I know this isn't the most helpful of responses because I have no advice to give, but know that you're not alone in feeling this way!

Hey! Thanks for the response. I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar predicament. I've been getting by on mitigating circumstances so far. Had to resit my exams every single year due to failing or bailing but I've found uni has generally been very understanding. Don't kick yourself for not speaking up sooner, it's hard to find to motivation to do anything at all when you're feeling low. Hope things get better for you now that student support is involved. Sounds like you're doing the right thing anyway. Sending lots of love your way :smile:
Reply 3
I'm a lot younger than you but I know how you feel.

I'm in year 11 and preparing for exams. I have suffered from SAD for 9 years now and it's tough. I sometimes wonder what life after secondary school will be like like this but I'm hoping I get a little bit better.

Please be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to rest. I'm here for you xx

Quick Reply

Latest