Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not sure if this would come under H&R but I'll give it a shot. Are there any girls out there who find it difficult to pick and buy clothes? I get reeeeally anxious when I go out shopping and I often end up not buying anything at all (a book or a dvd, perhaps - oh and lots of tea and coffee)!...

It's becoming a bit of a problem! I *wish* I was better at clothes shopping. I thought it was guys that were meant to hate this sort of thing (very stereotypical I know:rolleyes:).

Anyway, any advise would be greatly appreciated. I need to get over this!!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    take a friend with you and ask their opinions, My sister is awesome at getting me to try things i never would have before, shes a great help

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, i have this problem. I absoloutly hate picking out stuff to try on, and if it was jsut up to me, would stick totally to jeans and black t-shirts. As Fiona said, take someone with you thats gonna force you to try stuff I usually take a female friend.

Thanks. I have tried going with a couple of friends but they normally end up buying all the clothes! Even when we've specifically stated that I need to buy something!! I'll give it another go sometime this week... gulp

ReputationRep:
    take a friend who is going to be totally honest, but not mean! Then at least you'll really know if they look good on you!

ReputationRep:
    I am EXACTLY like that. I go clothes shopping and end up buying a stack of DVDs....I'm not a girl, but I do understand what you mean!

ReputationRep:
    i thought you had a weird body shape or something.

my advice would be to stick to the basics and classics. you cannot go wrong with them.

See this is the thing! I sympathise with you but I'm yet to come across a GIRL who finds clothes shopping difficult. Most of the girls I know absolutely adore clothes shopping and would take it up for a living if they could...

Whereas you're more likely to find me in Starbucks!

I just get so anxious and paranoid! I even get a pain in my neck!. How sad!!

ReputationRep:
    mynameiscal - LOVE your sig.

Nope. well, having said that I am quite thin so I do find it hard to actually find something that fits nicely. Although most shops do cater for a variety of shapes and sizes it takes a long time for me to find something that I like.

ReputationRep:
    I hate clothes shopping

Me too...

ReputationRep:
    I hate clothes shopping, it just feels so uncomfortable. I hate trying things on too. Doesn't help that 90% of shops doesn't do my size and the ones that do are those very trendy teenage shops. I never end up getting anything either. I just end up in Waterstones, buying yet another novel or some stationary.

Waterstones is another favey of mine.

:hugs:

A fellow sufferer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    I just get so anxious and paranoid! I even get a pain in my neck!. How sad!!
    Oh i get that.

ReputationRep:
    my friend is the same - she gets anxious and frustrated and exhausted and bored if her size isn't in stock or things don't fit right or she can't see anything nice.

definitely take a friend who can gently prod you in the right direction and keep you on track or give you reassurance that the thing you're not sure about actually looks fantastic. and, if you can't find anything nice, maybe you aren't looking in the right shops for your taste?

ReputationRep:
    the colour scheme of waterstones' stores (black and gold) really depresses me.

Really? I'm sorry. What do you think it is? I normally end up taking pain killers. It's kind of annoying though - I need to buy some smart clothes for interviews, going out etc.

I'm willing to put in an concerted effort... it's just difficult…especially when people can't see where you're coming from.

Buying a bridesmaid dress for my bother's wedding was an absolute nightmare! I got one in the end though.

Thanks k-lee. That's probably a good idea. I do shop around (or look around at least)...

Yes, Waterstones should be more colourful I like the one in Oxford - it has a cafe!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.