The Student Room Group

What kind of entry requirements should I be looking at with my grades?

At AS level I got AABD, however I dropped the subject I got D in and now my predicted grades are A*AA (I also have a very high Apolytirion mark - Cypriot examination system).

Unfortunately, I feel quite nervous about applying to courses (universities) requiring A*AA not because I don't believe I can achieve such grades, but my AS level grades make me feel somewhat inferior to other applicants. I would also like to add, my personal statement, in comparison to my fellow classmates and feedback from teachers, seems pretty strong.

Any advice is welcome and I'm willing to give any necessary further information!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
My predicted grades were A*AA although my UCAS went off as AAA because I didn't want the pressure of an A* there! I applied to uni's wanting the following:
AAA
AAA
AAB
BBB
BBC
Just to make sure that I had a good fall back in case things went wrong! I got offers from all 5 and then changed one of them and got a further offer in January as well :smile: Hope this helps! Your predicted grades are amazing though!
Original post by Heck me
At AS level I got AABD, however I dropped the subject I got D in and now my predicted grades are A*AA (I also have a very high Apolytirion mark - Cypriot examination system).

Unfortunately, I feel quite nervous about applying to courses (universities) requiring A*AA not because I don't believe I can achieve such grades, but my AS level grades make me feel somewhat inferior to other applicants. I would also like to add, my personal statement, in comparison to my fellow classmates and feedback from teachers, seems pretty strong.

Any advice is welcome and I'm willing to give any necessary further information!

Remember that the aim is not to get 5 acceptances. Therefore you can put 1-2 choices which might appear 'risky' and combine them with choices which are safer. For example, your five choices might require

A*AA
A*AA
AAA
AAA
AAB
or
A*AA
AAA
AAA
AAB
ABB
or whatever...
Reply 3
Original post by 08graya
My predicted grades were A*AA although my UCAS went off as AAA because I didn't want the pressure of an A* there! I applied to uni's wanting the following:
AAA
AAA
AAB
BBB
BBC
Just to make sure that I had a good fall back in case things went wrong! I got offers from all 5 and then changed one of them and got a further offer in January as well :smile: Hope this helps! Your predicted grades are amazing though!

Thank you and congratulations on all your offers. :-) However if you don't mind me asking what were your AS level grades?
Reply 4
Original post by Heck me
Thank you and congratulations on all your offers. :-) However if you don't mind me asking what were your AS level grades?

Thank you! My AS grades were AACE :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Remember that the aim is not to get 5 acceptances. Therefore you can put 1-2 choices which might appear 'risky' and combine them with choices which are safer. For example, your five choices might require

A*AA
A*AA
AAA
AAA
AAB
or
A*AA
AAA
AAA
AAB
ABB
or whatever...

Something like this was what I had in mind, although your comment has definitely reassured me about my convictions. Thanks you, I feel significantly less pessimistic now.

Quick Reply