Is there a career worthwhile OUTSIDE OF CORPORATE FINANCE?

Watch
Melancholic Mill
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I feel like Finance is where everyone wants to go - I'm talking from people with humanities bachelors to STEM engineers.

Why is that?

Is there a career worthwhile outside of finance, and why does everyone assume that someone who does not work in finance in a bank is a loser?

I am destined to become a quant because of my math degree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2FWNWwE3I

Look what this professor is saying about everyone wanting to work in Finance and that all the creativity is to be applied there and is nowadays useless elsewhere (noone wants to build bridges etc)
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can't actually tell if you're being serious because I've only met one person (excluding the posts on here, don't care to read because random posts I'm not interested in) who wants to do something related to finance and he went away to a KPMG apprentice scheme or whatever it is.

Also fun fact: I know several people who want to build bridges "etc" because my course involves that kind of stuff.
brabzzz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would seem that way. Everyone has a raging hard on for finance or 'corporate graduate' roles for some reason.

Can't blame them - i did before/at/after uni - and i even ended up as a M&A Analyst in London for a few years.

With the benefit of hindsight and luck, i can only chuckle and watch subsequent generations walk blindly forward down the same path - one that won't lead to a long term career or happiness for most. We're brainwashed onto that path without putting any real thought into it - but then that analysis is impossible without the benefit of life experience and so, well, it's inevitable really.

Destined? A maths degree (well, any degree) predestines/guarantees sweet FA.

On the 'professional career' note - consider which roles are most at risk of being replaced by a computer (or someone cheaper and super-qualified from somewhere further east) in an increasingly globalized world where physical presence isn't required. Desk jockeys ('outsourcing'), drivers (uber), pilots (drones)... Brave new world
Melancholic Mill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Can't actually tell if you're being serious because I've only met one person (excluding the posts on here, don't care to read because random posts I'm not interested in) who wants to do something related to finance and he went away to a KPMG apprentice scheme or whatever it is.

Also fun fact: I know several people who want to build bridges "etc" because my course involves that kind of stuff.
The professor in the video says all of the quantitative minds go into Finance as the Civil / Aerospace / Mechanical Engineering is best utilised there and there are no other opportunities outside of Finance which basically leads the modern world as it is the most important and prestigious industry.
Melancholic Mill
Rep:
?
(Original post by brabzzz)
It would seem that way. Everyone has a raging hard on for finance or 'corporate graduate' roles for some reason.

Can't blame them - i did before/at/after uni - and i even ended up as a M&A Analyst in London for a few years.

With the benefit of hindsight and luck, i can only chuckle and watch subsequent generations walk blindly forward down the same path - one that won't lead to a long term career or happiness for most. We're brainwashed onto that path without putting any real thought into it - but then that analysis is impossible without the benefit of life experience and so, well, it's inevitable really.

Destined? A maths degree (well, any degree) predestines/guarantees sweet FA.

On the 'professional career' note - consider which roles are most at risk of being replaced by a computer (or someone cheaper and super-qualified from somewhere further east) in an increasingly globalized world where physical presence isn't required. Desk jockeys ('outsourcing', drivers (uber), pilots (drones)... Brave new world
I am going to program the HFT platforms - this can never be replaced as HFT is the ultimate future of finance and stock exchange in general. This already accounts for majority of equity volume orders and Citadel trades more than NYSE - how about that?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends what you mean by 'worthwhile' really - I would agree with the earlier post though, I've not heard of many people wanting to go into finance!
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't slave away at an engineering degree to be a number pusher in Excel. I'd be bored out of my mind if I worked in finance
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope, OP, that's it. It's basically finance or a McJob.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
I didn't slave away at an engineering degree to be a number pusher in Excel. I'd be bored out of my mind if I worked in finance
The irony is most engineers are number pushers on excel themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trapz99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, there are loads of careers that are worthwhile outside of finance. Those are the majority, finance is the minority. Finance is overrated anyway, I don't understand why everyone's so obsessed.
Aladdinsaaane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Melancholic Mill)

why does everyone assume that someone who does not work in finance in a bank is a loser?
Because it's true! Everyone wants to be the puppet master.
Melancholic Mill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aladdinsaaane)
Because it's true! Everyone wants to be the puppet master.
Lol I guess. And many women would only date bankers also lol so I have no other choice but to go into this career.
Melancholic Mill
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Nope, OP, that's it. It's basically finance or a McJob.
I know, I mean there's also consulting but people do that to eventually step into finance themselves

(Original post by samantham999)
lol not everyone goes into finance
Please if you could list some real alternatives

(Original post by alexschmalex)
Well what are you going to do then? Maybe you can get a job in Shell doing engineering stuff but if you look around you everything is built already and the rest is being programmed by compsci people
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
The irony is most engineers are number pushers on excel themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looool you're actually right, but at least you can see the end result of what you're doing instead of whatever it is people in finance do

(Original post by Melancholic Mill)
Well what are you going to do then? Maybe you can get a job in Shell doing engineering stuff but if you look around you everything is built already and the rest is being programmed by compsci people
I crossed off working at Shell when I was like 9, I'd hate to work there. Engineering is way more than building, the stuff everyone uses is constantly being innovated upon and improved. It's a big market and a bigger world, there's tons to do
shawtyb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
work in a panda sacntuary!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed