The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is worse homophobia or racism?

Two different issues, of course.

Another question: are racists likely to be homophobic as well?

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

They're both the same - both focused on discrimination based on an immutable characteristic.
Reply 2
both as bad as each other
Reply 3
There are things that provoke homophobia and racism, doesn't mean that the person is bad.
Morally? They're as bad as each other.
In practise? I think racism probably causes more damage to people overall, but then again, homophobic incidents are often really nasty too.
Reply 5
Neither
I think racism is worse
It's not Top Trumps - they're both as bad as each other!
They're as bad as each other. And of course racists are more likely to be homophobic. It's two sides of the same coin.
Reply 9
Both of them are just as bad but I'm going to say racism is worse because the colour of your skin is something you can physically see whereas you don't have to reveal your sexuality.

So if there's like a holocaust against homosexual people unless you openly say you're gay or **** someone of the same sex in public, you're safe. Whereas the Jews couldn't be like "what? Jew? I'm not a Jew what makes you think I'm a Jew?!"
Original post by z33
So if there's like a holocaust against homosexual people unless you openly say you're gay or **** someone of the same sex in public, you're safe.

/facepalm

So how did Nazi Germany exterminate thousands of homosexuals? Do you think they were having sex in public?

As soon as there was a 'holocaust against homosexuals', homophobes will start executing anyone they deem to be gay - men who are effeminate, men who fit gay stereotypes, men who don't seem to be interested in women, maybe men who like Broadway musicals? Do you really think that all these 'gays' that ISIS execute for being say are all gay? I'm not denying that even MOST of them are, but lots of people can be perceived to be gay. If two men lived together with no wives and children in sight, they could be considered gay and could be executed, regardless of whether they are or gay - which clearly shows that you wouldn't be safe as a gay person just because you didn't tell anyone you are gay / aren't having sex in public.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Aladdinsaaane
/facepalm

So how did Nazi Germany exterminate thousands of homosexuals? Do you think they were having sex in public?

As soon as there was a 'holocaust against homosexuals', homophobes will start executing anyone they deem to be gay - men who are effeminate, men who fit gay stereotypes, men who don't seem to be interested in women, maybe men who like Broadway musicals? Do you really think that all these 'gays' that ISIS execute for being say are all gay? I'm not denying that even MOST of them are, but lots of people can be perceived to be gay.

Yeah... it only works in theory lol
Original post by z33
Whereas the Jews couldn't be like "what? Jew? I'm not a Jew what makes you think I'm a Jew?!"

Being Jewish is not a race and this issue works similarly as homosexuality. In theory, Jews can easily claim they are not Jewish (hence why George Soros is alive today), but in practicality, it's hard to hide and anybody can be perceived to be Jewish. Even today the far right thinks that everybody who works in a bank or a government institution is a Jew who conspires to take over the world.
Original post by z33

So if there's like a holocaust against homosexual people unless you openly say you're gay or **** someone of the same sex in public, you're safe. Whereas the Jews couldn't be like "what? Jew? I'm not a Jew what makes you think I'm a Jew?!"
actually, many Jews, in Nazi-occupied Europe, did deny being Jews, and tried to be reclassified as Aryans : and many even succeeded , particularly by bribing officials (corruption was endemic in the Nazi system)

however, the Nazis had the registries of the Jewish communities in their possession, many Jews had been attributed characteristic (and often slightly ridiculous) surnames and, lastly, male circumcision in central Europe was limited to Jews (Muslim presence being next to non-existent)

In Eastern Europe, you still had ghettos, by the way
(edited 7 years ago)
From a British point of view they are the same
International point of view Racism is worse because homo people are not accepted in many parts of the world
Original post by Bombinate
Two different issues, of course.

Another question: are racists likely to be homophobic as well?

What are your thoughts?

I'd say racism is worse, just for the simple fact that you can mask/hide/lie about your sexuality if you feel you need to for your own protection whereas you can't just conceal your race.
Original post by liberalwuss
historically racism has created more issues and there has been definitely overall more progress with defeating homophobia compared to racism in the last few decades.

In modern society, racism has become denied and undermined, most notably through the election of Trump who has even given white supremacists a platform to speak on. There are many other implicit cases like this. Essentially, people particularly from the right, have pushed this idea that racism doesnt actively exist in society so far, it has led to racism being denied and dismissed as one off incidents.

This is ofc on society as a whole, but on an individual level they are both equally abhorrent.

Right wingers, come at me with all your breitbart sourced info.

Really? Where in the world are people killed because of their skin colour? There are at least 7 countries that punish being gay with death.And there are loads more where it's illegal and you can be imprisoned.To say that racism is the bigger issue is just ignoring entire swathes of the world.
Original post by Robby2312
Really? Where in the world are people killed because of their skin colour?

This can't be a serious question.
Original post by Robby2312
Really? Where in the world are people killed because of their skin colour? There are at least 7 countries that punish being gay with death.And there are loads more where it's illegal and you can be imprisoned.To say that racism is the bigger issue is just ignoring entire swathes of the world.

Are you unaware of the ethnic cleansing that is ordered by some government states in africa or asia? Go do your research, millions have died.

Also, the problem you've identified is largely down to countries with islamic law in place.
Racism, duh.

Latest