Can I claim extenuating circumstances?

Watch
londontown101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

So I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I'm in my third year, moved into halls with random flatmates chosen by halls team. One seems to have some mental health issues along with his GF who was always here. 2 incidents all in all resulting in having police, security and hall reps in my flat between the hours of 1 - 6 am. I walked into a kitchen covered in blood (was horrible to see). And since then there have been random occasions when we have heard him being very angry and loud and banging coming from his room.

After seeing the kitchen I have not been in a very good place, I've been quite scared to leave my room and also unable to sleep at night due to being too scared that something will happen. I don't sleep at night so sleep during the day so have missed lectures and have been so unfocused. On top of this I've been feeling really weak and extremely low on energy so went for a blood test and have very low vitamin D levels and Iron. So even when I have been able to attempt some work I have just become tired so quick.

Based upon this, would you say I would be granted extenuating circumstances?

Please advise.

Thank you
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by londontown101)
Hi everyone,

So I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I'm in my third year, moved into halls with random flatmates chosen by halls team. One seems to have some mental health issues along with his GF who was always here. 2 incidents all in all resulting in having police, security and hall reps in my flat between the hours of 1 - 6 am. I walked into a kitchen covered in blood (was horrible to see). And since then there have been random occasions when we have heard him being very angry and loud and banging coming from his room.

After seeing the kitchen I have not been in a very good place, I've been quite scared to leave my room and also unable to sleep at night due to being too scared that something will happen. I don't sleep at night so sleep during the day so have missed lectures and have been so unfocused. On top of this I've been feeling really weak and extremely low on energy so went for a blood test and have very low vitamin D levels and Iron. So even when I have been able to attempt some work I have just become tired so quick.

Please advise.

Thank you
it sounds like you have a good case, if you could provide a doctors note with the results of the blood test then that will definitely help.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you actually want the outcome to be? Extenuating circumstances is very broad. Do you want a deadline extension, an extra 2-3% on your grade, opportunity to resit?
Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would get the **** out of there as soon as possible.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by londontown101)
Hi everyone,

Please advise.

Thank you
What is it you actually want from the extrenuating circumstances? Whi from the department and relating to what? An essay deadline or your entire finals?

Have you talked to your tutor or counsellor about this? Is your Dr treating you for some stress related/ anxiety issues or a medical condition? Go and yalk to one of the welfare counsellors in the SU. Its hard to tell and someone interviewing you to assess the situation would be better for you.

Imo you might get some sympathy but they want evidence. At the moment you need to put some meat on the bones of your case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed