The Student Room Group

Art foundation course: what's the difference?

I'm currently in my final year of sixth form, and I would like to study art at university, but I don't have an A-level in anything art-based. What I plan to do is complete a foundation course in fine art, but there is nowhere local to do this. Will universities guarantee accommodation even though I'd just be a foundation student?

Extra information: I'm looking at the moment at Camberwell, but I'm open to any universities offering art-based foundation courses that would allow me to stay in university accommodation as they would for a regular first year undergraduate.
Original post by TheGhostofFrank
I'm currently in my final year of sixth form, and I would like to study art at university, but I don't have an A-level in anything art-based. What I plan to do is complete a foundation course in fine art, but there is nowhere local to do this. Will universities guarantee accommodation even though I'd just be a foundation student?

Extra information: I'm looking at the moment at Camberwell, but I'm open to any universities offering art-based foundation courses that would allow me to stay in university accommodation as they would for a regular first year undergraduate.

Most universities that offer an art foundation will offer accommodation to foundation diploma students

However you will not be able to get a student loan to cover your living costs to pay for your accommodation/bills. Art foundation diplomas are FE courses (classed as the same level as A levels) and although that have no fees for 19 and under yr olds they don't allow you to apply for HE student finance.

Some universities will offer some bursaries for foundation diploma students (particularly for those living away from home) and in some cases you might be able to claim Income Support to cover some of your living costs. It's also worth applying for charitable grants.

The funding situation isn't ideal - especially when combined with the high intensity of a foundation diploma (you wont have nearly as much free time to get part time work as a student on many university courses would).

It might be a good idea to look outside London to find other affordable options.

Quick Reply

Latest