Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have currently chosen Maths, Further Maths and Economics for my A-levels and I want to study economics at LSE or Oxbridge. For the fourth A-level, which would you recommend out of the following:

History
    German
    Physics

Please help
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you feel most comfortable with. They're all very good A-levels. I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History and Physics - and in hindsight I think History was a bad idea. I'd to Physics since I think Oxbridge look more favourably at it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccomend in this order:

History (shares most in common with econ, academic subject, plus LSE looks favourably on having a solid essay subject like it)
    Physics (mathematical and highly academic, only narrowly behind History in my opinion)
    German (good but not as good as the other two)

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy most and what you think you can get the best grade in. You've got a very solid first 3.. the 4th won't matter very much.
    German, History and Physics are just as 'academic' and 'respected' as eachother... they all develop different skills that will be useful for an economics degree

ReputationRep:
    All three of those options are highly respectable choices, but personally I think History would probably be the best one to take because then you're not limiting yourself and you're also proving that you have a lot of diversity.
    You're obviously very good mathematically, and that's where your interests seem to lie, so by taking an essay-based subject you're broadening your own prospects.
    Ultimately, though, it's your decision and there is much to be gained from studying Physics and German too.
    So I wouldn't worry about which one to take - any of them will more than suffice
    Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do german, as out of those subjects it is the most useful in life. Also, I don't know about your school but at my school the german class is amazing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2007

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.