Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

What is the minimum age to do medicine in universities in the UK?

Regards

ReputationRep:
    18 I think.

I remember seeing on Bristol Universy website that if you are below 18 at the start of the course you must live with a guardian or something.

ReputationRep:
    yep.. he's right... 18 it is.

ReputationRep:
    aren't there exceptions? like super genius or something?

ReputationRep:
    No. What do you think this is? A uni degree or something?

ReputationRep:
    I do love your sense of humour sometimes Renal.

ReputationRep:
    More universities than you think will accept you if you are 17. The best way to find out is to ring them up and ask, as information on med school websites isn't always clear. It depends on how mature you are, as well as when you'll turn 18 (most uni's have a date by which you must be 18, if not by the start of the course. For example, my 18th birthday's less than a month after the courses start at the uni's I'm going to apply to, so they said they're OK with it.)

As far as I know, the uni's that will take U18's are:
    Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge (check with specific colleges), Edinburgh, Liverpool, UCL, King's, Manchester, Oxford, Southampton.
    They might have changed since I checked though

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p.../faq/index.htm
    Q13

I am glad to hear about UCL but on its website it says 18 years old is the minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomen123)
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p.../faq/index.htm
    Q13

I am glad to hear about UCL but on its website it says 18 years old is the minimum.
    Yes. It's due to the early clinical contact. Those under 18, if they are offered a place, are asked to defer their entry by one year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    Yes. It's due to the early clinical contact.
    what clinical contact...

i have only ever been inside UCH once...

it is pretty sexy though...!

ReputationRep:
    The PDS GP stuff, and when they bring in patients for your PDS group to interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arienne_rose)
    More universities than you think will accept you if you are 17. The best way to find out is to ring them up and ask, as information on med school websites isn't always clear. It depends on how mature you are, as well as when you'll turn 18 (most uni's have a date by which you must be 18, if not by the start of the course. For example, my 18th birthday's less than a month after the courses start at the uni's I'm going to apply to, so they said they're OK with it.)

As far as I know, the uni's that will take U18's are:
    Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge (check with specific colleges), Edinburgh, Liverpool, UCL, King's, Manchester, Oxford, Southampton.
    They might have changed since I checked though

Hope that helps
    They take people who are a few months younger than 18... The GMC prohibits any younger...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2007

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.