messed up physics terrorism crossover

Watch
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
tomorrow im doing a capacitors practical and ive seen what happens if you connect one the wrong way. it explodes!.....

IF someone had a strong battery on their chest and was COVERED in capacitors connected the wrong way, could they have the wire in one hand and be a terrorist and connect it to the battery and blow up a building!

i was SO tempted to put this in study help but something tells me this isnt study related

PS PLEASE dont take this the wrong way, im not supporting terrorism or anything, they're not good people imo this is purely for giggles.
if you want to know the context my sixth form has a parents consultation evening and one part is going to go SUPER badly and as a joke my friends asked for a way to die. it got me thinking lets just say that XD
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Toasticide)
tomorrow im doing a capacitors practical and ive seen what happens if you connect one the wrong way. it explodes!.....

IF someone had a strong battery on their chest and was COVERED in capacitors connected the wrong way, could they have the wire in one hand and be a terrorist and connect it to the battery and blow up a building!

i was SO tempted to put this in study help but something tells me this isnt study related

PS PLEASE dont take this the wrong way, im not supporting terrorism or anything, they're not good people imo this is purely for giggles.
if you want to know the context my sixth form has a parents consultation evening and one part is going to go SUPER badly and as a joke my friends asked for a way to die. it got me thinking lets just say that XD
In order to get a big bang, one needs to put in a lot of energy.

10 kg's of high explosive is equivalent to liberating around 41 Megajoules in a very short space of time. (That's about the same energy output produced by 55 Buggati Veyrons {1000HP each} going flat out for 1 second)

To get the equivalent energy storage, one needs to charge a bank of capacitors to say 1000V, then one would need:

E = \frac{1}{2}CV^{2}

C = \frac{2E}{V^{2}} = 82 \rm Farads

That's an awful lot of high voltage capacitors and an awfully dangerous voltage.

There is no way of adequately controlling the rupture simultaneously.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd add that (although it doesn't look like it) electrolytic capacitors aren't particularly violent... they have patterns scored into the canister to create engineered weak points to make them release gas in a controlled and progressive way when they're abused.

Though things you might not associate with explosions can be as dangerous as hell... e.g. this factory was blown apart, killing four people, last year by an explosion of fine sawdust

fwiw used to look like this
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.18...7i13312!8i6656
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
quite funny really, did the practical and i ended up blowing one up (accidently) but it was an electrolyte one so nothing dangerous.

Funnily enough although this was the thing i feared the most it wasnt 100% my fault. The capacitor had a minus sign then arrows pointing in a direction (i followed the negative flow from the battery to the capacitor and had the arrow go in teh same direction. Then the teacher said "no it should be the other way"... one thing led to another, i wondered why it didnt charge, felt it (it was hot!) then pop! acid on the table XD turns out the teacher mis interpreted the capacitor and thought it was conventional current flow when it was actually the electron flow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.01%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads