The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Lit Comparative Coursework - Feminism

Hi,
I am struggling to find feminism books to compare.

I have read the bell jar which I enjoyed but need to find another book.

Not sure if yellow wallpaper is too short.
I can't use one flew over the cuckoos nest either.

Any feminism novels / representation of women / identity novels appreciated. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 1
Or any mental illness novels :smile:

Reply 2
Original post by realsmilee
Or any mental illness novels :smile:

It isn't a novel, but Sylvia Plath poetry is good for this:smile: in her work there is an underbelly of feminism, along with the context being all about her mental illnesses and suicide, theyre also quite interesting reads:smile:
Reply 3
Bump

Hi :smile: I did feminism for my English lit coursework last year. The books we did were the color purple (defo think that's a great one!!), carol ann Duffy poems and the yellow wallpaper (it is short yes but it's got a lot to talk about both in terms of feminism and mental illness) :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by charlie2466
Hi :smile: I did feminism for my English lit coursework last year. The books we did were the color purple (defo think that's a great one!!), carol ann Duffy poems and the yellow wallpaper (it is short yes but it's got a lot to talk about both in terms of feminism and mental illness) :smile:

Can't do the colour purple as is on the syllabus, it's a shame. Anything else? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Any feminism novels / representation of women / identity novels appreciated. Thanks!!

Just a tip: there is no such thing as a feminist book - you can apply feminist theory to a book, which is called feminism theory/criticism.

But why can't you look at Nurse Ratchet in Cuckoo's Nest? There's loads you can say about her - her authoritative and totalitarian control over the patients and the ward.

Other novels that will lend itself well to feminist theory are:

The Handmaid's Tale
Rebecca
Madame Bovary
Therese Raquin
The French Lieutenant's Woman
The Well of Loneliness
The Help
The Purple Hibiscus

There's lots others. Have you considered drama or poetry texts?
Reply 7
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Just a tip: there is no such thing as a feminist book - you can apply feminist theory to a book, which is called feminism theory/criticism.

But why can't you look at Nurse Ratchet in Cuckoo's Nest? There's loads you can say about her - her authoritative and totalitarian control over the patients and the ward.

Other novels that will lend itself well to feminist theory are:

The Handmaid's Tale
Rebecca
Madame Bovary
Therese Raquin
The French Lieutenant's Woman
The Well of Loneliness
The Help
The Purple Hibiscus

There's lots others. Have you considered drama or poetry texts?

Thanks!

If you don't mind elaborating on Therese Raquin and Madame Bovary? Which one is better 😀

I would consider drama and poetry.

How about A Dolls House?

Thanks!

If you don't mind elaborating on Therese Raquin and Madame Bovary? Which one is better 😀

I would consider drama and poetry.

How about A Dolls House?

You can read about those two novels in your own time. You get a real feel for them both if you want to perhaps study either one of them. Bovary is a lot longer than Raquin though; I'll say that much!

A Dolls House is great - I studied it at uni!
Reply 9
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You can read about those two novels in your own time. You get a real feel for them both if you want to perhaps study either one of them. Bovary is a lot longer than Raquin though; I'll say that much!

A Dolls House is great - I studied it at uni!

Thank you so much. Leaning towards the dolls house! How is it so great? What's the general storyline, if you don't mind me asking? 😘❤

Hi,

A streetcar named desire would be a good play. :smile:
Thank you so much. Leaning towards the dolls house! How is it so great? What's the general storyline, if you don't mind me asking? 😘❤

I can't remember but I just really enjoyed what I learnt from it at uni which was 2 years ago now. You can ask Google that and find out for yourself! :flutter:
Hi,

You can use Yellow Wallpaper as long as you use at least one of the other short stories in the collection to balance it out!
Original post by peachtornado
You can use Yellow Wallpaper as long as you use at least one of the other short stories in the collection to balance it out!

i wanted to use yellow wallpaper and was told that its too short end off i dont understand why i cant use another story from the collection to balance it out?

Quick Reply