Is Politics and philosophy similar to human geography in terms of esteem? Watch

MilkyChiken
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently studying human geography but am dropping out to bump up my a levels to get into a better uni (need AAA). For some time I have aspired to potentially work in BP (British Petroleum) in terms of oil exploration/ the negotiations around it, as I have a possible way in to the company. However, I am tempted to change course when I apply for 2017 from human geography to politics and philosophy as i am conisderably more interested in the lively debates and topics covered in politics/philosophy. Would this be detrimental to this career path as geographers are statistically so employable? Or are the degrees similar in relevant weight towards the field of work I would like to enter? Thanks for all replies.
JRS13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MilkyChiken)
I am currently studying human geography but am dropping out to bump up my a levels to get into a better uni (need AAA). For some time I have aspired to potentially work in BP (British Petroleum) in terms of oil exploration/ the negotiations around it, as I have a possible way in to the company. However, I am tempted to change course when I apply for 2017 from human geography to politics and philosophy as i am conisderably more interested in the lively debates and topics covered in politics/philosophy. Would this be detrimental to this career path as geographers are statistically so employable? Or are the degrees similar in relevant weight towards the field of work I would like to enter? Thanks for all replies.
Hi, I'm applying to study a joint honours in Philosophy and Politics (PP) for 2017 entry.

In terms of employability, both PP and Geog can lead onto a variety of careers as they are strong academic subjects. However, in terms of working at somewhere such as BP, I think studying Geog would place you in a better position. This is purely based on the fact that Geog has more relevance to the energy sector than PP does and will probably give you more of a talking point at interview. Although, I can see no reason to why studying PP would hinder your application.

Have you thought of studying a joint honours with Geog such as joining it with Philosophy or Politics?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (139)
18.22%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.09%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (131)
17.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.28%

Watched Threads