theGalxB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

Tv license just sent me a letter saying that I'm under investigation and will need to pay this thing called a TV license.
I live in a student accomodation that actually supplies a TV however, I do not actually use it.
Plus I don't understand the policy of the no tv license needed form as it says that they may check to see if I have a tv, then I might be fined with this £1000?
The thing is, I don't actually use the tv, so why should I pay for something that is just another accessory hanging on the student accommodation's wall in my room?

So should I fill the form and hope that they don't come?
Should I not reply to them at all?
Or should I call them and explain everything hoping that the guy on the other side of the cord is someone who is sensible and reasonable in my particular case?

Help asap.

Thanks guys.
Crinkley Bottom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by theGalxB)
Hey guys,

Tv license just sent me a letter saying that I'm under investigation and will need to pay this thing called a TV license.
I live in a student accomodation that actually supplies a TV however, I do not actually use it.
Plus I don't understand the policy of the no tv license needed form as it says that they may check to see if I have a tv, then I might be fined with this £1000?
The thing is, I don't actually use the tv, so why should I pay for something that is just another accessory hanging on the student accommodation's wall in my room?

So should I fill the form and hope that they don't come?
Should I not reply to them at all?
Or should I call them and explain everything hoping that the guy on the other side of the cord is someone who is sensible and reasonable in my particular case?

Help asap.

Thanks guys.
Here is what you do:
Ring them and tell them you DO NOT REQUIRE A TV LICENSE AS YOU DO NOT USE A TV FOR WATCHING LIVE BROADCASTS OR IPLAYER!!! Also tell them you are WITHDRAWING IMPLIED RIGHTS OF ACCESS from your student flat.

That will keep them shut up and ignore any spammy mail they then send.
serah.exe
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's pretty dumb that as a nation we're forced to pay a license for having a TV, meaning you're paying for channels such as BBC with their fake stories and lies.
I think you should just ignore it as you're not using it, but I might be wrong.
ha.anon90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lool I remember when we didn't pay for 2 months cause my mum didn't care about it and my dad was away. This man knocked our door and I was about 10 and me and my elder brother opened it and the man was really nice to my mum. He ended up coming inside and he was like "you're very nice..etc.. I'll forgive the £1000". And my mum blushed Omg. That was so funny. My mum was in her night clothes and they were really cute lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
theGalxB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Habina786xx)
Lool I remember when we didn't pay for 2 months cause my mum didn't care about it and my dad was away. This man knocked our door and I was about 10 and me and my elder brother opened it and the man was really nice to my mum. He ended up coming inside and he was like "you're very nice..etc.. I'll forgive the £1000". And my mum blushed Omg. That was so funny. My mum was in her night clothes and they were really cute lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol, well that worked out hahaha. wonder if it wouldve worked out if your dad and not your mom was in the house instead.
ha.anon90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by theGalxB)
lol, well that worked out hahaha. wonder if it wouldve worked out if your dad and not your mom was in the house instead.
Lmao. My mum was really afraid as she was the only one in the house with 2 kids and she's like "Dad would kill us for opening the door". And till this day we kept it a secret from my father.

But my mum was a women who was quite liked by men hah. She's still got a best friend since she was 28 and my dad doesn't know lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teenaging
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The BBC just have a register of records of people who don't pay a license, and you've obviously been picked up.
Just say that you don't watch TV and will remove it from your property, and they should leave you alone.
theGalxB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Habina786xx)
Lmao. My mum was really afraid as she was the only one in the house with 2 kids and she's like "Dad would kill us for opening the door". And till this day we kept it a secret from my father.

But my mum was a women who was quite liked by men hah. She's still got a best friend since she was 28 and my dad doesn't know lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
ooo secrets. that's so cute tho best keep quiet ahah
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To actually fine you they need evidence you use the TV to watch TV. I have a TV in my room hooked up to my games consoles but am not using the TV functionality. I am not liable to pay any fines.

To prove that you use the TV to watch TV they need to actually track what you're doing with the TV. This is effectively a breach of privacy and if someone were actually caught doing it then there would be a massive uproar.

Having a TV is not enough evidence to hit you with a fine. You also do not have to allow anyone into the building to confirm if you do or do not own a TV, therefore they cannot prove it in the first place. Finally if the TV is in a public place such as a shared kitchen for example then there's no reason to assume you as an individual would be resposible for it. You also have no control on whether the accommodation installs a TV or not and are therefore not liable for it's existence. If the accommodation installs it and hooks it all up then you may even be in a position to say you had no control over it and it isn't your resposibility. This would be an unecessary grey area though as the odds of anything happening are extremely low.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads