Firewalls Watch

This discussion is closed.
ThE_OnE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
:confused: Hey this may be a dumb question but I was just wondering - does a firewall protect you on a LAN or is it just for internet use? Eg if i connect to a University network will i need some other form of protection? I have heard there are quite a few viruses going round uni networks and people have got them as soon as they shove their network cable in!! I know firewalls allow/disallow connections and filter traffic on ports etc etc but will this protect me on a network using my network card not a modem!???? thanks!
S1M
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think it will depend upon the settings used... some firewalls allow you to enter a "trusted" local network IP range... and what access that IP range has is customisable... so i think it would depend upon which firewall you are using and which settings you use...
ThE_OnE
Rep:
?
hmm so in your opinion lets take the sasser virus for an example... say that was hanging around on the network - would i get it or will i be protected as i am right now?
sat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't have loads of networking experience, but...

A firewall is generally there to stop people accessing your computer. If the firewall is running on your computer then it should prevent people accessing your computer and planting viruses there. (If it is set up properly.) The internet and a LAN are more or less the same as far as a firewall is concerned.

I have heard that many viruses are spread if you create shares under windows, since they will look for shares across the network to plant themselves in. A firewall may stop this (can't confirm this) though disabling shares would be a good idea.

You would probably need a virus scanner (up to date) as well, or you could use Linux and reduce the problem greatly!
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yup... more or less what sat says seems correct... but i think most firewalls have different levels of security for LAN and internet...
(Original post by sat)
or you could use Linux and reduce the problem greatly!
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Running a firewall such as the free and highly acclaimed ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com will be a good way to protect your computer. But even better you want an upto date virus checker that automatically downloads the latest updates, and runs a daily scan. Also make sure your computer operating system is kept upto date with all the latest patches.
sat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
i think most firewalls have different levels of security for LAN and internet...
Most home computer firewalls have auto setup rules which restrict access from the internet but allow freer access to and from the LAN - which is fine if you trust the network. In a university you might not trust the LAN, so it's a good idea to check the firewall settings to see just who's being allowed in...

Another reason for using Linux is that most distributions will come with a firewall installed. Price: £0.00.
ThE_OnE
Rep:
?
hey everyone! thanks for your advice! Ive had my firewall implemented for a long time now. I used to use seagate personal firewall as it was free but now I bought mcaffee security suite as i got fed up configuring everything although it was working fine. I will look into my settings lol probably sounds a bit dumb as i should have done that first but hey.. We all have our dumb days!
KerChing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)
Running a firewall such as the free and highly acclaimed ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com will be a good way to protect your computer. But even better you want an upto date virus checker that automatically downloads the latest updates, and runs a daily scan. Also make sure your computer operating system is kept upto date with all the latest patches.
cheerz for this advice
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (765)
90.43%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (81)
9.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise