The Student Room Group

Bitterly dissapointed with my GCSE grades

okay so I received my GCSE grades in August and I'm rather disappointed with myself over them- how can I get over it?

I wanted to achieve all As and A* but I only got a couple A*, mostly As and a few Bs.

Should I retake the Bs to get that A or A* grade? How can I stop feeling so sad over them?
its not bad think the people who failed them and at least u got a couple of A*s
Reply 2
The feeling will fade, it's definitely not worth retaking. Unless your planned university needs higher gcse grades.
Just know theyre not particularly important for uni, its just a minor setback.

Embrace the disappointment and channel it to give you motivation to do amazing at a levels. There's no point trying to feel better because we all have personal goals and you havent achieved yours, so accept it :smile:
Move on. A Levels are more important anyway
Be grateful. Even though it wasn't what you were expecting, some people would kill for results like that. If you believe you could have done better and that's why you're disappointed that's fine but remember to be humble and realise that those results aren't bad at all. I would understand if those grades hindered you, but they never will. So move on and embrace the fact you have results that many would envy. Realise you're privileged. You can do a levels, you got A*s.
Whether you should retake them depends on whether you want to apply to Oxford, basically. Cambridge don't accept resits I believe so there would be no point if you want Cambridge. If you don't, don't bother, as those are still amazing grades, and you should focus instead on a levels which are more important and really hard! I know exactly what you're going through, though, if it helps- I got my a level results in August, wanted A*s and As like you, but got Bs and Cs, literally still not over it! You just have to take as long as you need to process the disappointment and then try and put it behind you, not think about it, and you can make yourself feel a lot better by concentrating on your plans for getting amazing a level grades instead! And remember, as someone said to me when I was upset about my grades, it's not the people who get straight A*s who go out and become famous or successful or happy or rich, it's the people who work the hardest and want it the most. sometimes those are the same people, but they don't have to be!
Original post by katiecakes123
okay so I received my GCSE grades in August and I'm rather disappointed with myself over them- how can I get over it?

I wanted to achieve all As and A* but I only got a couple A*, mostly As and a few Bs.

Should I retake the Bs to get that A or A* grade? How can I stop feeling so sad over them?

Be proud of them! You've got college now to look forward to! Work on getting the grades for them! I bet that others who did not gain results like that, are well envious. It's in the past but if it is really getting to then I suggest you do so. I was like that when I got A in Geography and instead I desired a A*. Honestly, it's not gonna hinder any of your chances so don't let it get to you.

Quick Reply

Latest