UCAS and putting predicted grades...Do I have to? Watch

Timmy2686
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hullo,
Right I am currently doing my UCAS for 2017 application.
The gist of it is, I am a mature private student, basically self teaching whilst using Oxford college as a course provider. last year I started the AS year halfway through,and did far worse than I know I can. So this summer I am re-sitting my AS exams in May preceding doing my A2 exams in june.
How do I go about putting this onto my UCAS, do I put the subjects I am studying with pending grades, or do I have to supply the grades I got first time round?
I have spoken to a couple of unis and due to the nature of my study and circumstance they said predicted grades are not necessary, as long as I attain the appropriate grades in the end after a conditional offer.
I'd rather not put the initial bad grades on my application, and it possibly deter the reader. It's also not really an option to gain predicted grades from my course provider as to do so I would have to do three extra assignments per subject and PAY for the predicted grades, on top of basically fast track studying 3 A-levels.
I am studying History, Ancient history and Classical civilisation by the way.
Hope that wasn't too much of a ramble.
Look forward to any suggestions,
Tim.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Timmy2686)
Hullo,
Right I am currently doing my UCAS for 2017 application.
The gist of it is, I am a mature private student, basically self teaching whilst using Oxford college as a course provider. last year I started the AS year halfway through,and did far worse than I know I can. So this summer I am re-sitting my AS exams in May preceding doing my A2 exams in june.
How do I go about putting this onto my UCAS, do I put the subjects I am studying with pending grades, or do I have to supply the grades I got first time round?
I have spoken to a couple of unis and due to the nature of my study and circumstance they said predicted grades are not necessary, as long as I attain the appropriate grades in the end after a conditional offer.
I'd rather not put the initial bad grades on my application, and it possibly deter the reader. It's also not really an option to gain predicted grades from my course provider as to do so I would have to do three extra assignments per subject and PAY for the predicted grades, on top of basically fast track studying 3 A-levels.
I am studying History, Ancient history and Classical civilisation by the way.
Hope that wasn't too much of a ramble.
Look forward to any suggestions,
Tim.
If your first attempt grades were certified (ie your results slip had an overall grade for your AS level) then you MUST declare them on your application. It's VERY unlikely that poor results following a very short preparation period would discourage an offer - make sure your referee explains the educational circumstances behind your first attempt at AS.

You also need to list the upcoming qualifications attached to Oxford college (put it as part time for the months of the exams only to show that you're an external candidate). Your referee will be asked to provide a predicted grade for any pending qualifications (those with an award date after your application is sent off) but given your situation and the agreement of your universities they can chose not to provide a prediction if they aren't in a position to comment on your likely grades.
Timmy2686
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
If your first attempt grades were certified (ie your results slip had an overall grade for your AS level) then you MUST declare them on your application. It's VERY unlikely that poor results following a very short preparation period would discourage an offer - make sure your referee explains the educational circumstances behind your first attempt at AS.

You also need to list the upcoming qualifications attached to Oxford college (put it as part time for the months of the exams only to show that you're an external candidate). Your referee will be asked to provide a predicted grade for any pending qualifications (those with an award date after your application is sent off) but given your situation and the agreement of your universities they can chose not to provide a prediction if they aren't in a position to comment on your likely grades.
Thanks, I have so far supplied my AS and A2 grades as pending as suggested by UCAS helpline, and my referee will have to be a work referee. I have contacted my top 3 choices uni wise to ask, and they have so far said it's fine. Just send an e-mail to them once I have submitted with my UCAS reference number explaining the lack of predicted grades.
So in that case of supplying my bad results, I shall have to ask how to display that, I suppose on my education section have it displayed as such...

schools/colleges...

A-level - pending
A-level - pending
A-level - pending

AS level - pending
As level - pending
AS level - pending

AS level - original grade
I suppose that's the only format to do it, I shall of course email them to check, shall get confusing as I also have two other AS levels in different subjects from years ago. I think she said as long as I attached an explanation of circumstance and my reference number it won't damage my chances of approval.
Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed