Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I am going to be applying to Durham for 2008 entry and I was wondering if any of the colleges can provide undergraduate accommodation for the whole of a three year course.

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Cathy

ReputationRep:
    No college is under any obligation to provide accommodation for all three years, it's normally first year only (and final year if you want it and the college has enough rooms set aside for finalists).

Although saying that, I'm going to have lived in college (Cuth's) for all three years, but I've just been lucky that they have had lots of free spaces available.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

Most colleges offer accomodation for the first and final years, though it probably is possible, depending on how subscribed your college is in your second year. Generally speaking most people live out in year two, so even if you did manage to get a space in college, all your friends would be living out.

ReputationRep:
    HB has now said that second years can live in - I think the ludicrous college costs mean that fewer and fewer people are living in in their third year. Why would you want to live in college for all three years, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    HB has now said that second years can live in - I think the ludicrous college costs mean that fewer and fewer people are living in in their third year. Why would you want to live in college for all three years, out of interest?
    I opted to stay in college all three years as, in my opinion, it works out about the same price as a house over the university year. There are also no electricity/gas/water/internet/phone bills or landlords to worry about and it avoids the stress of actually finding somewhere to live. I also live close to the Science Site/DSU and not somewhere miles away in Gilesgate or out near the Viaduct.

The cost for returning students is also slightly less than the freshers living in the same accommodation - so it isn't so ludicrous.

Out of interest, how much is the average rent in a house per week - and how much do you pay in bills, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Also St. Johns has flats for 2nd years in St. Margaret's Garth so even though you are not in the same buildings as you will be in 1st an 3rd years you are still in college accommodation. I think the price is quite reasonable as well - about £50 a week I think - but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krankenhaus)
    Also St. Johns has flats for 2nd years in St. Margaret's Garth so even though you are not in the same buildings as you will be in 1st an 3rd years you are still in college accommodation. I think the price is quite reasonable as well - about £50 a week I think - but I could be wrong.
    Where is that? Never heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christo)
    Where is that? Never heard of it.
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/st-johns.colleg...ommodation.htm

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/map.php?pc=DH1+4DS&show=s

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I went to see one and was surprised by how nice it was. The kitchen and living room area is pretty nice. The downside is that the rooms are quite small and the walls are kind of breeze blocks (?), so it'd be hard to put stuff up on the wall. Guess you could use tape though. It's £49 a week AND internet is included! Apparently you pay them £100 a term for electricity and water but they refund any of that that you don't spend.

ReputationRep:
    i'm living in margaret's next year

john's is my college, so is quite nice having the safety of still being in their care, hehe. they aren't very pretty, its true. but the location is great - crossgate, near the viaduct - especially for the price. it used to be £59 per week but they put the price down to £49 this year to encourage people to live there (those living in margarets this year also get 2 goes on the room ballot for our 3rd year, woo) and that includes internet, water etc. we also have a maintenance guy on site the whole time, and yeah, electricity works out at £6 a week but is refunded if you dont use it all, which apparently is quite common. hooray.
    the downsides are obviously isnt quite as exciting as a whole house, and is still a communal laundry (grrrr), and yes the walls are breezeblocks. but i always cover my walls anyway. and it is soooo cheap and good location and safe etc. plus we were lazy and couldnt be bothered to look at houses

ReputationRep:
    Living in college is WAY too expensive for it to be viable for most people to do it for three years. I'm paying £66 a week for my house next year- including electricity, gas, water, insurance, broadband, TV license and phone line rental- and we're ten minutes' walk from the city centre. It's so much cheaper to live out. Plus, you get to cook your own food rather than eating college stodge seven days a week!

ReputationRep:
    I thought Durham was more expensive than that.
    That sounds very good, where is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggman)
    I thought Durham was more expensive than that.
    That sounds very good, where is that?
    It's a bit outside the Viaduct area, up North Road.

The deal's good as the house was at markdown anyway- the landlord (ClubEasy) put a few houses at a lower price so they could say they had houses at a 'range' of prices, and then I paid rent in advance so I got another discount.

Living in Durham isn't really that expensive unless you're the lazy sort who lives in the Church Street/Hallgarth Street area- Gilesgate and Neville's Cross are particularly cheap, and really not that far from town.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.