The Student Room Group

Financial support for further education students

So, hopefully I will be starting an access to HE Science course next September and I will be supporting myself financially for the whole year. As the course will be at least 3 days a week, I won't be able to earn enough to pay for food and accommodation even if I work on all my free days.
I've looked into what financial support is available for someone in my position and all I can find is the Discretionary Learner Support scheme which is provided by the college the course is at. However, I can find no information regarding how much I may be able to receive in funding. Has anybody here ever received this support and could you tell me how much I'm likely to receive? (I'll be 20 in January, I've lived in the UK for the past 3 years and will probably be living in shared accommodation when I start the course)
Original post by lholden9
So, hopefully I will be starting an access to HE Science course next September and I will be supporting myself financially for the whole year. As the course will be at least 3 days a week, I won't be able to earn enough to pay for food and accommodation even if I work on all my free days.
I've looked into what financial support is available for someone in my position and all I can find is the Discretionary Learner Support scheme which is provided by the college the course is at. However, I can find no information regarding how much I may be able to receive in funding. Has anybody here ever received this support and could you tell me how much I'm likely to receive? (I'll be 20 in January, I've lived in the UK for the past 3 years and will probably be living in shared accommodation when I start the course)

These funds are administered locally by the FE college or course provider, and so it's impossible to say what their eligibility criteria are and, thus, how much you might get. You need to contact your course provided to find the answer to your question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending