AdamFotza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I am planning on starting a second self-funded degree in February 2017 but have just found out that there are new changes coming in from August 2017 (although I've read August 2018 elsewhere..) that allow students to get funding for a 2nd second degree as long as it is on a part time basis and in a STEM subject.

My question is this - if I was to start the course in February 2017 and self-fund the first few modules, could I then apply for student finance for the remaining four modules once the changes come in effect and I become eligible for the loan? I am super keen to get on and start the course ASAP as the timing is good for me and I'm not getting any younger!

Also, can you please confirm whether it is August 2017 or August 2018?

I am looking to study BSc Environmental Science with the Open University.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AdamFotza)
Hi

I am planning on starting a second self-funded degree in February 2017 but have just found out that there are new changes coming in from August 2017 (although I've read August 2018 elsewhere..) that allow students to get funding for a 2nd second degree as long as it is on a part time basis and in a STEM subject.

My question is this - if I was to start the course in February 2017 and self-fund the first few modules, could I then apply for student finance for the remaining four modules once the changes come in effect and I become eligible for the loan? I am super keen to get on and start the course ASAP as the timing is good for me and I'm not getting any younger!

Also, can you please confirm whether it is August 2017 or August 2018?

I am looking to study BSc Environmental Science with the Open University.
According to https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...07-21/HCWS117/
"I can confirm today that ELQ rules are being further relaxed to allow students wishing to start a second honours degree course on a part-time basis from 1 August 2017 onwards to apply for fee loans towards degree courses in the following additional STEM subjects: subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences."

To be eligible you would need to START your course after the 1st August 2017....is there any way you can talk to the OU about deferring your entry for 6 months? If you start before then then you wouldn't be eligible for any loans for the duration of your course (student finance is all about which academic year your start your course in).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads