Turn on thread page Beta

Classics - Books that everyone praises but no one reads watch

ReputationRep:
    Classics - Books that everyone praises but no one reads - do you agree?

I have read a fair amount of literature and I can guaruntee that a lot of these so called timeless classics have turned out to be very disappointing. Theres no doubt that there are some books that live up to, or even exceed their reputation but a lot of the time, I just can't seem to push my way through it. Maybe its a culture time thing, but then again if they really are classics shouldn't they endure all? :rolleyes:

Just asking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxsh)
    Classics - Books that everyone praises but no one reads - do you agree?

I have read a fair amount of literature and I can guaruntee that a lot of these so called timeless classics have turned out to be very disappointing. Theres no doubt that there are some books that live up to, or even exceed their reputation but a lot of the time, I just can't seem to push my way through it. Maybe its a culture time thing, but then again if they really are classics shouldn't they endure all? :rolleyes:

Just asking!
    Any specific books here?

ReputationRep:
    actually why is this in d+d?

ReputationRep:
    Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility being the obvious ones. Others that have come into pop culture without anyone knowing the true stories are Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Vampire.

Also have you also noticed that loads of people quote Shakespeare and Wordsworth just by imitation rather than having read the literature themselves. Maybe its just to make themselves look intelligent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    actually why is this in d+d?
    lets see how it goes. if it turns into a listing game, then no.

ReputationRep:
    i thought this was the debate section? is it totally misplaced?

ReputationRep:
    Ulysses, loads of people love it but very few have actually read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxsh)
    Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility being the obvious ones. Others that have come into pop culture without anyone knowing the true stories are Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Vampire.

Also have you also noticed that loads of people quote Shakespeare and Wordsworth just by imitation rather than having read the literature themselves. Maybe its just to make themselves look intelligent!

You can still read the books though Dr Jekyll is a very good (and short) book as is Dracula which is what i assume you meant by vampire. And lots of people have read some Shakespeare/Wordsworth at least.
    Just because the books are part of pop culture it doesn't mean no-one reads them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxsh)
    not really media might have been more appropriate if as vienna says (what's happening to your account btw?) it turns into people just listing books they think are classic that no one read

ReputationRep:
    Surely plenty of people have read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxsh)
    yes, it is a debate section so your thread might be more suitable in the books section of the entertainment forum.

(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Surely plenty of people have read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility?
    well i started to read them..

just because the books have been thrown into and changed by modern culture such as film and tv it doesn't mean that people havn't read them. Infact i know a lot of people who became more aware that there were some books they could read because of pop culture. For example i went to see Frankenstein as a play so i decided to read the book, the same for Jane Eyre, and after the film cold mountain i read that book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Yeah, I agree, all Jane Austen books are well read. War & Peace, however, is not, probably due to it's length!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    Yeah, I agree, all Jane Austen books are well read. War & Peace, however, is not, probably due to it's length!
    Jane Austen is not my cup of tea.... Camus is a brilliant writer that i doubt people have read much apart from maybe L'etranger

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know how 'Pride and Prejudice' ever got elevated to the ranks of a'Classic'. To me, it was just one of the more eloquent trashy romance stories (and, since Austen's work is so formulaic, all her other works follow suit).. Just like an olden-day Mills & Boon.

ReputationRep:
    no i meant Vampire (or is it Vampyre?), or something like it anyway. not my piece of cake.

its true that a large proportion of people i know have read jane austen etc, but i seriously think we are only looking at one section of society here. if we asked someone random on the street, i think that they'd know the basic story line but they wouldn't have read it and so won't have experienced the author's true style.

also, i don't think it is arguable that pop culture has overrun old fashioned reading. i mean after seeing frankentstein i don't think very many people went to read the book like you sparklyteacosie, because so many people think, well i knowthe story now so whats the point of reading the same thing over again?

i thought P and P always had the status of classic - wasn't it a taken thing? although i agree that it wasn't totally deserved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxsh)
    no i meant Vampire (or is it Vampyre?), or something like it anyway. not my piece of cake.
    But isn't Bram Stoker's Dracula the book that gave rise to the whole vampire thing?

ReputationRep:
    The Bible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    I really don't know how 'Pride and Prejudice' ever got elevated to the ranks of a'Classic'. To me, it was just one of the more eloquent trashy romance stories (and, since Austen's work is so formulaic, all her other works follow suit).. Just like an olden-day Mills & Boon.
    I LOVE Pride & Prejudice! There are soooo many things which Austen deals with, which are to praised and deserve the title of a classic: her authorial voice in the novel, her use of satire, her use of comedy etc. There is just so much in it, every time I re-read it, I find something I didn't notice the previous time around! But then, I do love Romantic-Comedy types, and I agree that they're not everyone's cup of tea, so I respect your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read a huge deal of classics but I do not think that of they are really 'classics' they will date. I think a lot of publisher’s just dub the word classics onto anyone who wrote a book that was famous in their day. I mean take 'Silas Marner' supposedly one of Eliot's masterpieces.

I felt it trudged along from clumsily constructed sentence to the next. It was only in the Wordsworth Classics range because she wrote Middlemarch. The 'classics' tag shouldn't automatically apply to all the books by an author who wrote a classic; but to a work that significantly influenced or revolutionised literature of its day, or remains an excellent read.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.