Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, So....

After months of deliberation, and the fact that I wish to throw my current computer out of the window because of the fact it sounds like a jet engine taking off constantly, I am looking to buy a Mac. Now supposing I can sell my computer on for a couple hundred £, then obviously I will be able to spend more, however, I am currently working on the basis of not selling it. The Mac Mini interests me and was wandering, is it worth the added £100 (approx) to upgrade from the 1.83Ghz model, to the 2.0Ghz one.

Im not a techie kind of guy and so have no idea. I know that the computer I have now is 3.? Ghz, but I dont really need that kind of power. All I want, is to write up essays etc, use internet & msn, and play a few games online. I wont be using it for in-depth editing of any kind, (except for maybe basic photo editing) lol

So whats your thoughts guys? Im sure there must be people out there who can tell me the difference

Thanks in advance :p:
    Dan
    x

ReputationRep:
    No, the actual processor cost difference is very slim, charging £100 extra is a huge mark up if the rest of the PC identical. Is this Intel or PowerPC based?

ReputationRep:
    Both run intel! Again I dont know much about it :confused:

If theres not going to be any real difference, I'd probably go for the cheaper model and then splash out on a new screen, keyboard and mouse etc. Its a work machine primarily. Not a heavy gaming console!

ReputationRep:
    Then the price mark up seems huge to me. I would just spent the money on more RAM or a new screen etc.

I don't know what your old machine is but be warned second hand PCs are not worth much at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, tbh Id be happy with ANYTHING from it. We spent bout £700 on it and that was just under 12mths ago. It has been nothing but nightmares. I dont use it anymore beacuse of the noise!!! So if anybody brought it, even for a tenner, I wouldnt look back on it lol

ReputationRep:
    The noise is easily cured, a decent PSU, new processor fan, won't cost much to silence the thing .

ReputationRep:
    Ditto what AT said, buy a new heatsink with a big, slow rotating 12cm fan on it.

ReputationRep:
    It is the PSU thats the problem (Am i right in thinking it stands for power supply unit?? :confused: :p: )

Anyone know how much a decent one costs? Id do anything.lol. Im sitting here now and I cant hear my family moving about its that noisy!!!

ReputationRep:
    What spec is your computer. I normally get FSP ones from Micro direct which cost around £28 they are very silent but depending on your PC you may need something more powerful.

I would suggest you probably need to spend around £50.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

the 2.0Ghz version comes with 40Gb more HD space, and a fancier DVD drive. (And a larger L2 cache, but I don't reckon you're there yet)

You might want to consider researching what the hell you're buying, in future. And a Mac Mini is much more than you need to buy for what you want to do.

Are you even a Mac user? Because if you're not, then you don't want to go buying a Mac Mini for no reason. Nuh uh. =)

Buy a cheap Dell, or fix up whatever you've got now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theGAPkid)
    It is the PSU thats the problem (Am i right in thinking it stands for power supply unit?? :confused: :p: )

Anyone know how much a decent one costs? Id do anything.lol. Im sitting here now and I cant hear my family moving about its that noisy!!!
    No no no. Don't go changing your PSU - not the best way to initiate yourself into tinkering around inside your computer, and it'll cost you ~£50 to get a proper new one (Rough guess). (You'll end up either blowing your motherboard, or forgetting to plug the fans in =) )

Odds are that it's not your PSU that's the problem. It'll be the cheap fans over your processor, GPU, and another in-case one. They'll be clogged up with months of dust, and were never that quiet to start with.

Open up your case, turn your computer on, and see if you can figure out what's making the noise.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely the power unit. All other fans are silent. You can feel the hot air coming out of the power fan as soon as its switched on. And any upgrades, would be done professionally at a computer store!!!

With r.e. to changing to a Mac, I've always found them to be more stable, fun and interesting than PC's. My friends have Apple products and after playing around with them, Im pretty sure this is the direction I would go in should I invest in a new computer. Now, or later!

ReputationRep:
    Do you what make your PSU is, it sounds like you have a cheap nasty PSU in there and this what could be causing all your other problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Do you what make your PSU is, it sounds like you have a cheap nasty PSU in there and this what could be causing all your other problems.
    Its a Hipro Model, Not sure of owt else on it - The writings too small and its covered by wires - Its 230v - Although thts probably irrelevant :confused:

THe computer is a Philips MT2400 though - Ive been looking around to see if other people have had this problem,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theGAPkid)
    Its a Hipro Model, Not sure of owt else on it - The writings too small and its covered by wires - Its 230v - Although thts probably irrelevant :confused:

THe computer is a Philips MT2400 though - Ive been looking around to see if other people have had this problem,
    Buy another PSU if you want, then. Cheaper than getting a Mac Mini ("Mini" - Read: Overpriced and underpowered)

You don't want to swap to a Mac, judging by what you use your machine for.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.