The Student Room Group

Becoming a counsellor

Hi I have made many confused threads figuring out what I want to do in my career.

I have a well paid job but I am not happy due to long hours, boredom and meaningless work, I want to make use of my degree and help others.
I have studied Psychology, but obliviously I don't have the skills to be a therapist or counselor.

How long does it take to become a counselor?
does anyone have experience of good course which helped them gain a lot of skills? The psychology degree was very theoretical and I did find it extremely interesting but it didn't teach us how to be a counselor at all. I know these skills are picked up in practice but I wonder if the course will really equip me with the skills.

I worry if it's something I will be able to do. I'm good at listening and have a lot of psychological knowledge, I care about people but is it a prerequisite to have certain skills before hand or will the training help?
Hey there, there are lots of different routes into counselling and sometimes you can even train with IAPT directly. You can either get the degree in counselling which will take three years and then work for accreditation which I think.is currently 450 hours volunteer work with the bacp or you can choose another body. You can also do the diploma which is two years or you can go through a college. With the psychology degree already there may be a masters you can do like at Chester the MA in counselling there is fab. I don't think you have to be accredited to practice but do need some form of counselling qualification

Hope this helps, good luck and all the best. Message if you need anything else. All the best x
Reply 2
Original post by Laura1205
Hey there, there are lots of different routes into counselling and sometimes you can even train with IAPT directly. You can either get the degree in counselling which will take three years and then work for accreditation which I think.is currently 450 hours volunteer work with the bacp or you can choose another body. You can also do the diploma which is two years or you can go through a college. With the psychology degree already there may be a masters you can do like at Chester the MA in counselling there is fab. I don't think you have to be accredited to practice but do need some form of counselling qualification

Hope this helps, good luck and all the best. Message if you need anything else. All the best x

Hi thanks,

Are you currently a counsellor, how is the job and the pay?

Since I've got a degree I want to do a masters and probably get the counselling certificate before that.

will it be 2 years (once I've gotten the masters) till I can get paid work in counselling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey there,

It's a proper minefield lol. What are you looking at getting good a masters in? If counselling then it would be great but I don't think that would make you a counsellor. Sucks that there is no help out there for course guidance. Is there anyone at your uni that can help you??
As far as I know, you could become a counselling psychologist and you would be deemed more qualified than a counsellor and then you would fall into a pay bracket of your own if that makes sense. I don't know all that side of things. Sorry I can't be of more help there. So many avenues into it it can be confusing and u helpful in a way. The volunteering will get you the hours for accreditation, not many people take on unaccredited counsellors but you can practice privately without accreditation but obviously be aware if anything went wrong you would not have anyone to fall back on.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little and doesn't just sound like waffle lol. Please write back if you need anymore help xxx
Original post by Laura1205
Hey there,

It's a proper minefield lol. What are you looking at getting good a masters in? If counselling then it would be great but I don't think that would make you a counsellor. Sucks that there is no help out there for course guidance. Is there anyone at your uni that can help you??
As far as I know, you could become a counselling psychologist and you would be deemed more qualified than a counsellor and then you would fall into a pay bracket of your own if that makes sense. I don't know all that side of things. Sorry I can't be of more help there. So many avenues into it it can be confusing and u helpful in a way. The volunteering will get you the hours for accreditation, not many people take on unaccredited counsellors but you can practice privately without accreditation but obviously be aware if anything went wrong you would not have anyone to fall back on.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little and doesn't just sound like waffle lol. Please write back if you need anymore help xxx

Do you know how much it would cost to do it in college? and can i getfunding from student finance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending