Major issues with student finance funding for my masters

Watch
ryansturt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am having major issues with receiving my student finance.

I originally applied for a PGCE course however I decided to study for my Masters instead. I did not attend or enrol onto the PGCE and I made Student Finance aware of this as I was told to fill out a change of circumstances form , which i did (before both courses started) and continuously kept in contact with Student Finance regarding my application. However, I was still paid as though i was going to be studying the PGCE. Once i found this out I immediately contacted student finance and was advised to hold onto the money as they sort out my application, again I contacted student finance continuously as i was unsure on what to do regarding this money and was continuously told to hold onto the money.

I contacted the university where I am studying for my masters, and fortunately, after a couple of visits, they were able to get in contact with student finance regarding this issue. The money was paid back after the university had contacted student finance, I was also awarded £30 out of this payment (I am not sure why), which I later had to pay back with added interest of £11 making it £41.

I am still in contact with student finance regarding when i will be receiving my masters funding. I received a letter stating i would have been paid on the 24th November, which I wasn't. I have been in touch with student finance continuously and have been told each time that it was being processed and should be with me soon. However, I have been in contact with student finance again today and was told that they don't know when i will be getting paid as my account is apparently "buggy" due to student finance paying the wrong institute (even though they had plenty of notice about this).

I am wits end of what to do regarding this now as no one seems to know what to do or be willing to help. It is coming close to the deadline for my payment to the uni, and i have received many emails about overdue payments. I, however, can not pay the university without my student finance. I have got until after Christmas to make this payment and if i do not make it I will have to withdraw my place on the masters course.
Morven SFE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear of the troubles you have experienced so far with Student Finance. Can i ask you, did you apply for the PGL funding for the masters course?

What have you been advised is the issue with your account especially with payments as SFE paying a course should not affect a payment for the PGL package we offer. Just trying to establish exactly what has happened and what may need to be done

Thanks
ryansturt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Morven SFE)
Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear of the troubles you have experienced so far with Student Finance. Can i ask you, did you apply for the PGL funding for the masters course?

What have you been advised is the issue with your account especially with payments as SFE paying a course should not affect a payment for the PGL package we offer. Just trying to establish exactly what has happened and what may need to be done

Thanks
I was advised to withdraw any applications i had and then re-apply for a post graduate loan via paper application, which I have done and it is visible on my account. my account currently says payment scheduled however, due to recent conversations with student finance, this is not the case as i was told my account is "buggy" due to this mix up with the courses.

I really don't know what else to do as i have been in frequent contact with student finance, however is able or willing to fix this problem.

the only advice i have been given of recent by student finance is to continuously ring and "bug them" until someone can sort it out. this shouldn't be the case as i am a full time student and do not have the time to constantly be chasing after student finance regarding this issue.
Morven SFE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Ryan,

I am trying to understand what this "bug" is as if we have paid a payment for an undergraduate course and has now been withdrawn there should be no issue with your PGL application. Has the university confirmed your registration? If so has an agent youve spoken to confirmed this with you?

As i cannot see your account i am unable to advise on exactly what the problem is, if you havent done so already it may be worth your while to call and escalate the case so this can be investigated as a matter of urgency because as youve stated above the longer this goes on, the more stress your under by the university and financially as well and thats the last thing we want to happen. Give us a quick call and ask to escalate the case: 0300 100 0031.

Hope this helps you Ryan

Thanks,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.86%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.71%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (11)
15.71%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.43%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
37.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
17.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed