The Student Room Group

Maths 2017

I am a little concerned about maths. I think I may get a grade 5/4 (which is now a C), when I'm in top set. Its too late for me to move down a set, but I have 5 months. Could I achieve a grade 7 (A) in this amount of time? And how can I do this? I really need some advice, thank you!

(I'm in set one but I feel as if the teachers go through quickly because everyone else understands it, I had asked to move down to set 2 several amount of times in year 10 but no teacher seemed to listen to me.)
The answer is not to move sets. You may need a little more time on it but you have five months! It's entirely doable.
First, make your teacher listen; they are paid to teach you and prepare you for these exams so make them find time (it could mean your break, lunch or after school - even when your peers are working through something in class.) It is worth giving up a bit of time each week for the extra two grades.
Secondly, don't depend on the classes. You need to do work outside of school including past papers and using online resources.This site has some good ones.
Finally, dig deeper. If you can find examiners' reports you'll be able to identify what the hardest topics are and what are the common blunders.
Good luck, I believe in you! :h:
Original post by J116
I am a little concerned about maths. I think I may get a grade 5/4 (which is now a C), when I'm in top set. Its too late for me to move down a set, but I have 5 months. Could I achieve a grade 7 (A) in this amount of time? And how can I do this? I really need some advice, thank you!

(I'm in set one but I feel as if the teachers go through quickly because everyone else understands it, I had asked to move down to set 2 several amount of times in year 10 but no teacher seemed to listen to me.)

If you are doing the new Edexcel spec, you absolutely need to get the 'easy' stuff right. Revise these and talk to your teacher about anything you don't understand. The harder stuff (that has been brought down from A Level like Exponential Graphs) is usually a combination of many things you should've learnt. With that structure in my mind I have improved a lot in terms of understanding in Maths, I ensure that I get the simple and sometimes frankly logical stuff right, and focus on the harder questions.

The Grade 7 is achievable for sure. Just follow that advice (coming from a Grade 7, predicted Grade 8 student) and you'll find it a lot easier. You also (unfortunately) need to go over stuff at home or you will forget it in the exam, easy or hard stuff. I had this happen to me in my recent mocks.
Reply 3
Original post by J116

Same here!!! I was moved to set one in year 10 and I had no idea what set one were studying so i got a bit scared that i may not be able to catch up with the topics they were doing. But i tell you what....It's not too late, i use my spare time to go to mathswatch and watch a couple of videos every day, i am currently predicted a 7 but i cannot guarantee that i will reach that target so keep on studying in your spare time by watching videos from mathswatch or even youtube. Be positive...

Quick Reply

Latest