The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Grade boundaries

Is it possible for universities to have a remark system like the ones that are used by A-Level/ IB exam boards? Is it possible to bump up your grade both by module and your overall degree? Obviously now universities don't have any sort of system for remarking assessments. Universities can obviously can bump your overall degree if it's a boundary case, but not for individual modules. In my opinion, universities should implement a system for students to get their assessments remarked if students think they should've deserved more, preferably the ones used in A Levels or IB. Also, I think the bumping up of grades should also apply to individual modules as well as your overall degree, if you have a boundary case. I have these two thoughts because I have 1 module in my degree that the overall score is 59.3. What do you think? Feel free to express your opinions.
Reply 1
Original post by Gordontang8
Is it possible for universities to have a remark system like the ones that are used by A-Level/ IB exam boards? Is it possible to bump up your grade both by module and your overall degree? Obviously now universities don't have any sort of system for remarking assessments. Universities can obviously can bump your overall degree if it's a boundary case, but not for individual modules. In my opinion, universities should implement a system for students to get their assessments remarked if students think they should've deserved more, preferably the ones used in A Levels or IB. Also, I think the bumping up of grades should also apply to individual modules as well as your overall degree, if you have a boundary case. I have these two thoughts because I have 1 module in my degree that the overall score is 59.3. What do you think? Feel free to express your opinions.

In my university, we were able to do reassessments for the courseworks of two modules. But, that was only for the first year. They didn't let us do that for the rest of the remaining two years. However, they didn't even count those reassessments in the final overall degree mark, which stung a little but as I obtained a first class overall, I didn't complain.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Saba XD
In my university, we were able to do reassessments for the courseworks of two modules. But, that was only for the first year. They didn't let us do that for the rest of the remaining two years. However, they didn't even count those reassessments in the final overall degree mark, which stung a little but as I obtained a first class overall, I didn't complain.

Well you can do reassessments, but not having your assessments remarked. Also, you can't get your module score to bump up if it's a boundary case.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Well you can do reassessments, but not having your assessments remarked. Also, you can get your module score to bump up if it's a boundary case.

Ahhhh, I completely misunderstood. But, I never had my module score being bumped up. I had received 79.6 for a module and they didn't put it up. Although, considering, it would still have been a first class, it doesn't make much of a difference. But, in cases such as yours, did you ask them to reconsider and bump up your 2.2 to a 2.1?
Reply 4
Original post by Saba XD
Ahhhh, I completely misunderstood. But, I never had my module score being bumped up. I had received 79.6 for a module and they didn't put it up. Although, considering, it would still have been a first class, it doesn't make much of a difference. But, in cases such as yours, did you ask them to reconsider and bump up your 2.2 to a 2.1?

I asked the department about the same thing, they said they would only bump up my overall degree, only if my overall degree is a boundary case. It does not apply to individual modules. I think it would be stupid not to bump up my grade, if I have a boundary case for my module(s).
Reply 5
I asked the department about the same thing, they said they would only bump up my overall degree, only if my overall degree is a boundary case. It does not apply to individual modules. I think it would be stupid not to bump up my grade, if I have a boundary case for my module(s).

That is unfair because individual modules make up the overall degree so if you don't get the grades bumped up then it would affect the overall grade. They should really reconsider this policy, imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending