Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
Kiritsugu
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
South African students want to "decolonise science" by rewriting the curriculum to focus on African advances in science.

I guess they want a lighter workload.
The Space Colony Ark. Watch it.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She seems to be saying that, because some African people claim they can cause lightning to strike another person, they can - and then she seeks a scientific explanation for it in preference to validation of the claim. Perhaps this is the African scientific process: believe what you are told and question nothing. It sounds like religion or any other superstition to me. She ignores the moral implications of hitting people with lightning.
Willy Pete
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
South African students want to "decolonise science" by rewriting the curriculum to focus on African advances in science.

More like a darker workload.
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

tfw you have an exam but you were up till 3AM editing dank memes instead of studying the material so now u gotta complain like mad to get the exam delayed
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those evil white men doing really good science and getting us to the moon.
You trying to compensate for the fact that you cant summon bolts of lightning?

Idiots like these deserve no platform to speak
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Because sub-Saharan Africa was doing so well before white people brought their oppressive science and technology with them, right? Well okay, they had barely progressed beyond the stone age, but I'm sure they were on the brink of developing a space age civilisation before evil whitey came along and ruined it all. :rolleyes:
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Yay, let's learn about FGM and how you can tear up a stitched vagina
StrawbAri
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It's as if these people who complain about curricula being dominated by cis white male scum have not yet realised it's because almost everything of value in almost all fields of study, whether it be in the sciences, arts, or humanities was done by a cis white male.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really.
Unless you're very selective of what is 'of value'
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by StrawbAri)
Not really.
Unless you're very selective of what is 'of value'
Even if you remove the subjectivity the statement still holds, but I personally see no value in being able to invent a new gender or micro aggression even 3.96 seconds as of any real value

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"South African Students" - okay, it was like one girl giving her view. She's not even studying science so straight away she's not in any position to give her ******ed view on this subject.

And the students were laughing at her, and she got no round of applause or anything at the end.

I think a few posters above me are assuming this was some huge country wide response by black South Africans. It clearly isn't. So maybe just ease off the insults against Africans?

OP you could've worded your post a bit better. Unless of course this was your intention.
StrawbAri
Report 4 years ago
Even if you remove the subjectivity the statement still holds, but I personally see no value in being able to invent a new gender or micro aggression even 3.96 seconds as of any real value

Posted from TSR Mobile
The statement still doesn't hold.
A lot of contributions to modern science art and humanities have been from the ancient Chinese, Egyptians, Indians etc
Also there are quite a few African American inventors that you don't normally learn about in history classes that have contributed to science and the arts. In fact a lot of popular genres of music such as jazz, hip hop, blues, RnB, and some of the greatest rock musicians have been black. This isn't mentioning the contribution to athletics, literature and popular culture.

White people have contributed quite a bit but nowhere near 'almost everything of value'
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The statement still doesn't hold.
A lot of contributions to modern science art and humanities have been from the ancient Chinese, Egyptians, Indians etc
Also there are quite a few African American inventors that you don't normally learn about in history classes that have contributed to science and the arts. In fact a lot of popular genres of music such as jazz, hip hop, blues, RnB, and some of the greatest rock musicians have been black. This isn't mentioning the contribution to athletics, literature and popular culture.

White people have contributed quite a bit but nowhere near 'almost everything of value'
Don't bother with him. People who say that sort of stuff generally like to feel they're somehow able to take credit for achievements by other white people. Probably to feel less insecure about themselves I guess.
StrawbAri
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Because sub-Saharan Africa was doing so well before white people brought their oppressive science and technology with them, right? Well okay, they had barely progressed beyond the stone age, but I'm sure they were on the brink of developing a space age civilisation before evil whitey came along and ruined it all. :rolleyes:
I know it's cool and all to believe that without the influence of white people black people are /would be primitive savages but it's not like white people were much less backwards in the 14th century for example.
SomeGuyHere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think this made be dumber.

If they don't want to learn Science because of who made the discovered fine, let them fall behind the rest of the world.

industrial revolution started in the UK and the production line in America. Remember people - industry and jobs are evil.

Tim berners lee is also white so no internet for you.

Splitting everything by culture is getting worse and worse. Don't get me wrong you can learn about the contributions to the world by places like Babylon or other civilizations through history but the truth is modern science is western. In a few decades that could be wrong but right now it isn't.
StrawbAri
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lord Samosa)
"South African Students" - okay, it was like one girl giving her view. She's not even studying science so straight away she's not in any position to give her ******ed view on this subject.

And the students were laughing at her, and she got no round of applause or anything at the end.

I think a few posters above me are assuming this was some huge country wide respones by black South Africans. It clearly isn't. So maybe just ease off the insults against Africans?

OP you could've worded your post a bit better. Unless of course this was your intention.
Sssh this doesn't fit into their narrative of Africans being not much more than primitive savages.
Gee I thought blatantly ignoring facts and missing the point was something only SJWs did?
And prsom
SomeGuyHere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I think a few posters above me are assuming this was some huge country wide respones by black South Africans. It clearly isn't. So maybe just ease off the insults against Africans?

That's mostly true with all these groups. It's a small number of loud idiots advocating things like the "Air condition is sexist" headline that Sky news covered a while back. Even the presenter couldn't stop smirking.
AzidicArcturus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ironic how a camera is used to tell us about this view, yet they still go on about 'decolonizing science'. Such ungrateful hypocrites
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't bother with him. People who say that sort of stuff generally like to feel they're somehow able to take credit for achievements by other white people. Probably to feel less insecure about themselves I guess.
Damn, you caught me, I simply can't go a day without telling somebody how I invented the light bulb or formalised the basis of geometry in two dimensions.

I know it's cool and all to believe that without the influence of white people black people are /would be primitive savages but it's not like white people were much less backwards in the 14th century for example.
Wait, so you're having to compare recent history to centuries ago to defend the argument, surely that's just case in point if the black man had to wait until the white man came along to get caught up.
StrawbAri
Report 4 years ago
Wait, so you're having to compare recent history to centuries ago to defend the argument, surely that's just case in point if the black man had to wait until the white man came along to get caught up.
Not what I was saying.
Was saying it's not like before the first time white people came around (15th century) they were much less backwards than we were. And at the time they didn't come with any of their new fangled science and technology. They just came to take slaves which destabilised the continent and this continued for 300 years before it finally ended. This plus the Arab slave trade going on for much longer I don't see how Africans would have done much in the way of development.
Granted white people did come back to grace us with the lovely tech at the small price of being treated like dogs on our own continent.

That being said, Im not saying white people are to blame for everything going wrong in Africa currently but acting as though the slow progress of our continent is solely our fault or Africans just aren't as capable at science etc without whiteys help is just plain wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads