Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just really want to know which laptops out there are best for entertainment and gaming and I've got £1000 or under to spend.

iam looking for around 2GB ram, windows vista and at least 100GB. iam so confused right now as iam seeing a lot of great specs laptop but i cant choose which one . has anyone got any ideas? it would be really appreciated.

i've been looking at HP, Sony and Toshiba ones but i don't know which ones are good cos the're so similar :confused:

also i was wondering what people thought of me getting a laptop when i have a family pc and i'll be going to uni next year. do you guys think it would be best for me to wait till next summer to buy a laptop or will a laptop still be good enough to use in 4 years time.

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer.

Go to dell, go to small business laptops.

Configure up a Vostro 1400 (14.1in) 1500 (15.4in) or 1700 (Guess what?).

Top specs, dirt prices.

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically in the same situation so am going to hijack your thread these are the ones I'm looking at choosing between.

Dell Inspiron 1500
    Dell Vostro 1500
    Acer Aspire 5920G
    and is the Zepto Znote 6624W any good?

so which is the best, mostly for gaming but needs to be futureproof, faily portable and reliable etc. And what's the difference between the vostro and Inspiron, is one better for gaming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    Simple answer.

Go to dell, go to small business laptops.

Configure up a Vostro 1400 (14.1in) 1500 (15.4in) or 1700 (Guess what?).

Top specs, dirt prices.
    thanks for that , i've just checked it out and it really is the cheapest and the best value for money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestudent)
    I'm basically in the same situation so am going to hijack your thread these are the ones I'm looking at choosing between.

Dell Inspiron 1500
    Dell Vostro 1500
    Acer Aspire 5920G
    and is the Zepto Znote 6624W any good?

so which is the best, mostly for gaming but needs to be futureproof, faily portable and reliable etc. And what's the difference between the vostro and Inspiron, is one better for gaming?
    the Dell Vostro looks better and is more expensive so probably has more advanced features also it has the duo2 processor which is better. i've never heard of zepto znote :confused:

yeah but i too want a furtureproof laptop that's why i want to buy the best now so that in years to come my laptop won't be tooooo outdated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemkate)
    the Dell Vostro looks better and is more expensive
    The Vostro is cheaper isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemkate)
    the Dell Vostro looks better and is more expensive so probably has more advanced features also it has the duo2 processor which is better. i've never heard of zepto znote :confused:

yeah but i too want a furtureproof laptop that's why i want to buy the best now so that in years to come my laptop won't be tooooo outdated
    This is complete crap.

The vostro is the business model, all the difference is the shell, colours, and it has Vista Business instead of Home Premium (You can pick ultimate on both).

It is like £400 cheaper than an equivalent inspiron at high spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    This is complete crap.

The vostro is the business model, all the difference is the shell, colours, and it has Vista Business instead of Home Premium (You can pick ultimate on both).

It is like £400 cheaper than an equivalent inspiron at high spec.
    my bad

so why is the business one cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    ive just ordererd this for £900:

Dell Vostro 1700
    C2D T7500 Processor 2.2GHz,
    Windows Vista® Business
    17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ TFT Display
    2.0 megapixel webcam
    2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 9-cell Battery

ReputationRep:
    So, how is the graphics on the Vostro for gaming?? and would there be any reason to go for a Acer 5920 instead?

ReputationRep:
    if your after a 15.4" lappy for gaming, i would say go for the acer 5920, you get alot for £800. if u pop into notebook reviews website and go to the acer sub forum, there are loads of threads about it!!

the only downside is you have to deal with acer's terrible customer servicces if u have any problems!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samie)
    if your after a 15.4" lappy for gaming, i would say go for the acer 5920, you get alot for £800. if u pop into notebook reviews website and go to the acer sub forum, there are loads of threads about it!!

the only downside is you have to deal with acer's terrible customer servicces if u have any problems!!
    out of Dell or Acer which one do you think build durable laptops?

ReputationRep:
    ....i have an acer and tbh the build quality is pretty good! alot of people say acer lappys fall apart, but from what i have read its mostly with the cheaper units. i have had mine for a year now and its not falling apart yet(mine cost £1200.)

i cant comment on dells as i havent owned one myself, but from what i have read all their units in general are quite durable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samie)
    if your after a 15.4" lappy for gaming, i would say go for the acer 5920, you get alot for £800.
    Why do you say that? It has the same specs as a Vostro and the Vostro is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you say that? It has the same specs as a Vostro and the Vostro is cheaper.
    probably cos it looks better?

do you own a vostro? if so then has it been buildt to last, say around 3-4 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samie)
    ....i have an acer and tbh the build quality is pretty good! alot of people say acer lappys fall apart, but from what i have read its mostly with the cheaper units. i have had mine for a year now and its not falling apart yet(mine cost £1200.)

i cant comment on dells as i havent owned one myself, but from what i have read all their units in general are quite durable!
    thanks for that

so if you had the choice now would you buy a Dell or keep the Acer you've got now?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at Alienware laptops http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx as they are meant to be the best gaming laptops as they are near enough purely designed for that and they look pretty nifty too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nifty)
    Have a look at Alienware laptops http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx as they are meant to be the best gaming laptops as they are near enough purely designed for that and they look pretty nifty too.
    i know that Alienware have the best laptops for gaming but i can't afford one they're way too expensive i've only got a grand to spend and i want high specs on most features rather than just spend that money on great graphics

but thanks for the suggestion, maybe when i've got a couple thousands spare i'l think about it

ReputationRep:
    the vostro range is aimed at business so the prices that is quoted does not include VAT. if you compare the acer to the vostro price wise not including VAT, the acer will come in cheaper!!

dont waste your money on alienware, the m550 chassis is the same as the rock pegasus 655 which my brother has and his suffers problems with overheating, and from what i have read so does the alienware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samie)
    the vostro range is aimed at business so the prices that is quoted does not include VAT. if you compare the acer to the vostro price wise not including VAT, the acer will come in cheaper!!

dont waste your money on alienware, the m550 chassis is the same as the rock pegasus 655 which my brother has and his suffers problems with overheating, and from what i have read so does the alienware.
    i've justed looked at both of the laptops and with the vostro you can get more for the same price with vat and p&p inc and with vista ultimate. the only thing that i can see the acer having the upper hand is that it looks better and has that turbomemory thing.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.