Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about university next year, to get away from family and everything and to continue an education. Didn't have the most successful A Levels - a B at ICT, C at Psychology. And then AS Level 'E' for History. I guess this is not enough for a university, what would I need to do to get in to a decent one? Options open for the course!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, firstly I should say you shouldn't go to university just to get away from family. Have you considered getting a job or going into some other form of higher education? It's something you certainly need to think about.

You certainly won't be getting into UCL or Bristol any time soon, but there's plenty of universities that'll take you for plenty of courses. What sort of courses would you want to do?

Alternatively, have you considered resitting your A-levels, if going to a good university with more choice of courses and a better reputation is important for you?

ReputationRep:
    Fancy seeing you here Jono! :hello:

Well, like generalebriety says, it depends alot on what kind of course you want to do and what sort of uni you want to go to. At the minute, you have 200 UCAS Tariff points, and it is more than possible for you to get into uni with that. A couple of examples that I found very quickly where the entry requirement is 200 points or less are Media Production at Sunderland Uni, Business Management at Derby, Public Relations at Lincoln. There's loads more available, that's just to prove the point that you have lots of options available to you already. If you want to do a course that generally has higher entry requirements, or a more prestigous uni, you could either resit your A levels, or consider doing an extra one this year or something.

ReputationRep:
    Why not do something like a HND to get more experience as its the steip up and will give you some time to think

ReputationRep:
    A B and a C at A2 are not bad at all - they suggest to me that you are quite capable of doing a uni course if you could get on one. But in order to get on a decent course at a reasonable uni you need either another A2 to add to them, or something else like a diploma.
    You need to be looking at further education or night classes for next year, then when you have BBCe, take your pick from the UCAS listings.
    And good luck.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    its not just about grades, but also the course you want to do, and make sure its something you will enjoy since this will tie you down for at least 3 years.

Its perfectly easy to get into uni with those grades - my course offer was 180 points, or a BC from 2 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Well, according to your myspace, you like psychology. So why not do that? Plenty of places will accept you with those grades, though a few resits might help.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.