The Student Room Group

Most young people would vote Labour!

Young people have the most to gain with a labour government and I think if the voting age was reduced to 16 then labour would win with a landslide victory.

We've had a Tory government for the last 6 years and that's been 6 years of pure misery. I was a child when we last had a labour government but my teacher said things were far better then.

We need change because most of us are starting our lives of study and work and a Tory government is bad for our futures. We have seen tuition fees rise, public services cut and lost, the NHS facing bankruptcy, our welfare state torn to bits and a recent rise in racism and hate crime. We are fed up with those who have made their fortunes and careers being pampered by a capitalist government. We fear our future children will not be able to afford college or university. We fear that if we ourselves become unemployed we won't have a benefits system!

We need a party that represents all of us and that is labour. 6-7 years is far too long for an unpopular government to still be in power. Our PM is a laughing stock who doesn't have a clue what she's doing. Only last week they lost a seat lol.

Where there is despair labour can bring hope, where there is misery labour can bring happiness.

We need change! Let's bring on this change and let's make 2017 a LABOUR YEAR!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most young people don't know the difference between debt and deficit let alone actually going to vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hence it's left wing parties that are the most vocal advocates of lowering the voting age - because it happens to benefit them.
Original post by Pulse.
Most young people don't know the difference between debt and deficit let alone actually going to vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We need to entice young people into the labour way of thinking. Develop labour youth squads and get the word spread around that voting labour and labour thinking is they way to go.

To make it cool to say you are labour. Labour needs to portrayed as the party of cool perhaps T shirts badges etc. Even trading stickers with pictures of labour members on. With that younger kids will look up to their peers and we can develop a labour culture.

Remember labour has a lot to offer young people. Change is cool and refreshing and after 6 years or Tory misrule we need something cool and fresh!
If you truly believe Labour can solve any of the problems you mention in your original post you've been brainwashed.
Labour/New Labour whatever you want to call them have been just as detrimental the country as the Tories.
Where were you in 2008?
Couldn't possibly ever vote for a party who still believes Blair isn't to blame for the crisis in the Middle East and all the other **** him and buddy Bush from across the pond caused.

Both parties are ridiculed with corruption and prime examples of the abysmal system of western politics and government.
We need someone new, someone that actually speaks for young.

And I don't mean the green party.
Original post by Pulse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nor do most adults.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Our PM is a laughing stock

Riggghhht. That must be why the Tories are 20 points ahead in the polls.

Corbyn is the only laughing stock; Labour has become a complete irrelevance under his "leadership"
Original post by BigBadAsh

Labour/New Labour whatever you want to call them have been just as detrimental the country as the Tories.
Where were you in 2008?

Err, you do realise that the 2008 crash was a global financial crisis that began in the US subprime mortgage market? Labour can't be blamed for failures of regulation in the US financial sector
Original post by AlexanderHam
Riggghhht. That must be why the Tories are 20 points ahead in the polls.

Corbyn is the only laughing stock; Labour has become a complete irrelevance under his "leadership"

And how do they base this 20 point lead?

I do know labour membership is at record levels and that's a prime indicator that labour is very popular under Corbyn.
And how do they base this 20 point lead?

On opinion polling that consistently underestimates Tory voting intention.

I do know labour membership is at record levels and that's a prime indicator that labour is very popular under Corbyn.

It's a prime indicator that Corbyn is very popular with Corbynites under Corbyn.

Labour membership isn't at record levels at all. It's higher than it has been for the past couple of decades, but pre-Thatcher, it was much, much higher than it is now.

Just ask yourself this - if you go into the next election with Corbyn at the helm, and as is widely expected, the Labour Party is utterly wiped out at the polls, leaving maybe half the current MPs - what will you do then? Carry on going in the wrong direction? Maybe Jeremy wasn't radical or left-wing enough? Or will you sell out to Blairite scum?
Reply 10
Original post by That Bearded Man
Nor do most adults.

Lol really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labour will never get into power with Jeremy Corbyn.

Theresa May will remain Prime Minister for the foreseeable future, most definitely for the next two elections.

She is going to have a seemingly never ending reign like Angela Merkel.

(And she won't lower the voting age.)
(edited 7 years ago)
I have been a right wing voter since I was old enough to vote for the very first time. I would be happy for the voting age to be lowered despite it surely resulting in a rise to the left if younger people could prove that they can act politically without throwing temper tantrums and acting extremely childish/ageist to the older generation (all of which they absolutely cannot).
There is also a huge question of them knowing what on earth is going on. Surely the same can apply for adults too but it is much more likely in young people. I mean they should be focusing on their exams not analyzing party policy (unless they're somehow studying politics!)

We need to entice young people into the labour way of thinking. Develop labour youth squads and get the word spread around that voting labour and labour thinking is they way to go.

To make it cool to say you are labour. Labour needs to portrayed as the party of cool perhaps T shirts badges etc. Even trading stickers with pictures of labour members on. With that younger kids will look up to their peers and we can develop a labour culture.

This sounds really concerning. You are trying to influence unfairly at a young and impressionable age. Let them grow to form their own opinions on the world and how it should be run. I'm in a Labour heartland with an entirely Labour voting family and I still go right wing after all!
If a Conservative did this I am almost sure you would be crying 'brainwashing, brainwashing!'
Young people have the most to gain with a labour government and I think if the voting age was reduced to 16 then labour would win with a landslide victory.

No, they wouldn't. How many 16 and 17 year olds exactly do you think there are in the country?
There aren't enough to have overturned the Tories 7 point lead over Labour at the last election, and they won't negate the near 20 point lead the Tories currently have over Labour. Also lets be real, all that is going to happen is Labour will simply win by bigger majorities in urban seats they already hold. There'll barely be any swing in rural or town constituencies.
So the best party is one that has a heavy reliance on the young and naive that have just come out of an echo chamber?

Remember labour has a lot to offer young people. Change is cool and refreshing and after 6 years or Tory misrule we need something cool and fresh!

I'm pretty sure this was just a troll post, if not, then it sounds a lot like the Soviet Union.
Original post by Jammy Duel
So the best party is one that has a heavy reliance on the young and naive that have just come out of an echo chamber?

Don't forget the ones who want to strip voting rights away from anyone who doesn't agree with them also :tongue: They are the ones who make the most noise after all.

Original post by Aladdinsaaane
I'm pretty sure this was just a troll post, if not, then it sounds a lot like the Soviet Union.

I sincerely hope so.
Original post by ChargingStag
Don't forget the ones who want to strip voting rights away from anyone who doesn't agree with them also :tongue: They are the ones who make the most noise after all.

I sincerely hope so.

Truth be told there is already a propaganda of left wing politics if you go to university for example and especially if you study humanities or social sciences and the like... I took a media class at my previous uni and it was anti-Bush propaganda and the like. One seminar teacher kept making passive aggressive comments about Fox News. I mean I hate Bush and Fox News, he is the stupidest piece of **** ever, but still, the bias was so obvious. I found it amusing as a left wing liberal but I dont know about others. lmao
Original post by Jammy Duel

Why is this different to workers voting tax cuts or pensioners voting to get things back to the good old days?
Original post by That Bearded Man
Why is this different to workers voting tax cuts or pensioners voting to get things back to the good old days?

They at least have the experience of the systems rather than having being brought up with a sheltered life on the teat of their parents or the general tax payer, still living in the world where the world owes them everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply