The Student Room Group

Most young people would vote Labour!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That Bearded Man
Why is this different to workers voting tax cuts or pensioners voting to get things back to the good old days?

It's not.

This is the realm of the conservative though, to crush new ideas, to humiliate the young, to obliterate dissent before it begins by overloading people with the tediousness of 'real life'.
Original post by Jammy Duel
They at least have the experience of the systems rather than having being brought up with a sheltered life on the teat of their parents or the general tax payer, still living in the world where the world owes them everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a terrible argument, young people would have more experience of social work, some have jobs, the education system etc. The world changes too, so one argument about a policy can become totally irrelevent as time has changed yet "experienced" people still hold the outdated view. Young people from poor backgrounds have more experience than wealthy disconnected adults.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's be honest, it would take more than lowering the voting age to save Labour from calamitous Corbyn.

He's quite frankly the most useless leader of the opposition we've had in the recent past. He doesn't hold the Tories to account, he's made no attempt to understand the 'ordinary working person' and has instead attracted purely liberal, mostly London based, young elites and the issues he focuses on are essentially irrelevant when we consider what is going on in the world currently.

If Tim Farron wasn't such a smarmy git the Lib Dems could maybe have some success but I can't foresee anything other than a clear majority for the Conservatives, who will win Labour seats alongside UKIP who will also benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepysnooze
hence it's left wing parties that are the most vocal advocates of lowering the voting age - because it happens to benefit them.

Well done :holmes:

Hence it is right wing parties that are always most apposed to lowering the voting age as well.
Original post by Conzy210

he's made no attempt to understand the 'ordinary working person' and has instead attracted purely liberal, mostly London based, young elites
Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you be a Trot and be a Liberal?

Also how can you be a part of the elite when you can't even afford a house?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
How can you be a Trot and be a Liberal?

Also how can you be a part of the elite when you can't even afford a house?

Most Corbyn supporters are well educated, middle class, young and have joined the Labour party recently. This is a far cry from the blue-collar voters which make up the, now essentially lost, 'Labour heartlands'.

So.. In comparison Corbyn supporters for the most part fit what people regard to be a metropolitan/cosmopolitan 'elite'.

The working classes don't adore Corbyn like they maybe should and like his supporters believe. He doesn't speak to them at all.
There won't even BE a Labour Party after the next election. Can you spell electoral meltdown?

Doomed, doomed you are all doomed! :biggrin:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
Original post by Conzy210
Most Corbyn supporters are well educated, middle class, young and have joined the Labour party recently.

Actually it's the opposite (young is probably correct). Corbyn labour supporters are disproportionately poorer.

"metropolitan/cosmopolitan 'elite'." is just a propaganda word for anyone more rightwing than those they are criticising. If you think some 20 something student/graduate/worker living in London house sharing is the elite of the country you're a but of a pillock. The situation is so moronic that we have actual landed Lords calling below average earning young people in London unable to afford to buy a house elites. The term is devoid of any class based analysis and so is useless.

But you just can;t be a Trotsykist and a Liberal. Make up your mind.
(edited 7 years ago)
As much as it's completely pointless to engage the troll..

Original post by Ambitious1999
Where there is despair labour can bring hope, where there is misery labour can bring happiness.

...this reads like something that should be over the gate of a work camp.
Original post by Drewski

...this reads like something that should be over the gate of a work camp.

Sounds like Tory moralising of work.
Original post by Ambitious1999
We need to entice young people into the labour way of thinking. Develop labour youth squads and get the word spread around that voting labour and labour thinking is they way to go.

To make it cool to say you are labour. Labour needs to portrayed as the party of cool perhaps T shirts badges etc. Even trading stickers with pictures of labour members on. With that younger kids will look up to their peers and we can develop a labour culture.

Remember labour has a lot to offer young people. Change is cool and refreshing and after 6 years or Tory misrule we need something cool and fresh!

A lot of young people would prefer not to vote for labour, because of the war criminal blair. That and the fact that many young people are simply not represented by labour (or the tories). It's all about "getting their vote."

You can get our vote when you all start treating us as part of the community and not just another potential vote. Oh, that and... If my country wants to go to war, and a large portion of people oppose it, even so far as to protest and petition. What the government shouldnt do is 1.Completely ignore all dissent and continue to have a hand in a war and 2.ratify legislation that makes it illegal to protest near the house of commons about said war.

Political parties dont care about us. Labour and the tories have much, MUCH more in common with each other than with young people like myself.
Original post by That Bearded Man
That's a terrible argument, young people would have more experience of social work, some have jobs, the education system etc. The world changes too, so one argument about a policy can become totally irrelevent as time has changed yet "experienced" people still hold the outdated view. Young people from poor backgrounds have more experience than wealthy disconnected adults.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some young people work, but what's the average age of first employment, particularly full time? How about 20 or 40 years ago? They have the experience set of living off the parents and the post recession world in an idealist echo chamber we call education. It naturally comes as no surprise that just a few years in work sees a sharp decline in labour support, almost half of 18-25 support Labour, that drops a third every time you move into the next polling age band.

If it were simply down to wealth then you would expect Labour to dominate the lower social grades. They don't. C2DE still favour the tories significantly, and labour support is about the same as in ABC1. If we look at population distribution ABC1 is only slightly larger than C2DE, and mobility through the grades I expect is mostly within those groupings, if you start in C1+ you're probably staying there, if you start in C2- you're probably staying there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done :holmes:

Hence it is right wing parties that are always most apposed to lowering the voting age as well.

yes because there's no reason to even lower the voting age
I think that Many young people follow Left wing Ideologies as they seem nice, just like communism they seem good on paper.

I would love £15 minimum wage but I know what it would do to the economy, It is not a sensible idea but it does seem good.
A lot of younger people also fear being called Conservative as the current climate loves to call Conservatives Far right racists and compare them to Hitler
I must not be young then. I am going to have fun celebrating my 23rd birthday down at the bowls club.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
yes because there's no reason to even lower the voting age

Well I think there are reasons to lower it to 16 for non partisan reasons. Unlike you I admit there are partisan reason to be for it on my side. There are partisan reason to be against it on your side as well.
Original post by AperfectBalance

I would love £15 minimum wage but I know what it would do to the economy, It is not a sensible idea but it does seem good.

Basic income/negative income tax.

Doesn't matter that people get paid below living wage then. Struggling business are not made to go out of business and there is more money in the hand of consumers which is also good for business.
Original post by Jammy Duel

If it were simply down to wealth then you would expect Labour to dominate the lower social grades. They don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

False consciousness innit :gangster:
Original post by SonoLuma

Political parties dont care about us. Labour and the tories have much, MUCH more in common with each other than with young people like myself.

Labour is currently lead by a massive anti irag war MP you plonker. If you still wont vote for them after that why should they even bother trying to get your vote. You will never vote for them anyway and they just turn off voters from other demographics who do vote as they try to court your vote.

You deserve to be ****ed over. Only downside is you not voting ****s me over as well. So thanks for that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I think there are reasons to lower it to 16 for non partisan reasons. Unlike you I admit there are partisan reason to be for it on my side. There are partisan reason to be against it on your side as well.

what are the reasons?
no taxation without representation? literally little kids buy things with VAT on it - does that entitle them to vote just because of the tiny taxation they will find themselves paying? the fact that 16 year olds can join the army? they can join it *voluntarily*, as opposed to a draft, and it's not front line combat obviously. honestly I think the biggest reason against the vote at 16 is the fact that people basically have to stay in school until they're 2 years older than that; if you're too stupid to leave school you'll be too stupid to vote as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending