The Student Room Group

Protective/Jealous boyfriend or laid back?

Girls, do you prefer a guy to be protective over you and get jealous when you talk to other guys, or would you rather them be laid back and not care?
I'm asking because I always thought that laid back would be better, but my ex girlfriend said that being protective and jealous is 'extremely attractive' and it shows that I really want her. She also asked another guy out when we were in a relationship because she "thought I wouldn't care" since i am so relaxed about everything, obviously I did... Luckily he told me what she had done and I escaped! :')

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was extremely protective over my ex and she used to love that.

I think you should always be protective to a certain degree but be laid back when you can.
Reply 2
Definitely laid back. I could not deal with an over protective boyfriend. Be protective to the extent that if a guy is trying to chat me up come over and be protective over me towards HIM... but never have a go at me for talking to a boy or having male friends. I hate that and wouldn't put up with it.
Absolutely laid back, there is nothing more selfish than jealousy.
Laid back
Jealousy sucks
I've only had protective boyfriends and they turned out to be just punk *****es so.
Reply 6
I'm usually quite laid back, until you start accusing me of 'not caring, or not taking an interest', then I run away from you very quickly, as I know you'd be calling me jealous if I did.
Honestly protective bfs are fruits.

They only want to take credit for how you look like hah yeah "she's mine" " YOUR MINE Rwar". And that's the only time they remember how precious you are, immediately they want to put their arms and give you kisses and have this stupid evil smirk on their faces. It's always a ****ing ego thing.

ego ego ego
Protective yet laid back
Basically moderate
Reply 9
Original post by xobeauty
Honestly protective bfs are fruits.

They only want to take credit for how you look like hah yeah "she's mine" " YOUR MINE Rwar". And that's the only time they remember how precious you are, immediately they want to put their arms and give you kisses and have this stupid evil smirk on their faces. It's always a ****ing ego thing.

ego ego ego

Are you dating a monkey from planet of the apes?
I find it really attractive when my boyfriend is protective... I don't really have a lot of guy friends anyway (I tried, but after this dude literally said he wanted to break me and my boyfriend up, I stuck to my female friends). If my boyfriend was laid back I'd worry that he's not interested in me.
Protective and jealous definitely. My boyfriend's justification was that it wasn't that he didn't trust me, but he doesn't trust the intentions of some men so he'd rather I didn't speak to them. I couldn't even argue with his point much to be honest, because 99% of my friends who were guys, ended up liking me and started talking really sexually with me. If I told them I had a boyfriend, they'd have the audacity to say things like 'we can keep it between us', or 'he doesn't need to know', this happens to me too often. Now, I don't really have many guy friends now anyway, only one.
Probably in the middle for me.

By that I mean not too protective, but also not extremely laid back.
Maybe more to the laid back side though.
Laid back
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I find it really attractive when my boyfriend is protective... I don't really have a lot of guy friends anyway (I tried, but after this dude literally said he wanted to break me and my boyfriend up, I stuck to my female friends). If my boyfriend was laid back I'd worry that he's not interested in me.

Wow, why would he try to do that? That's really weird. And that's sad to hear as not all guys are like that. I still have guy friends and I'm in a relationship.
Original post by Anonymous
Protective and jealous definitely. My boyfriend's justification was that it wasn't that he didn't trust me, but he doesn't trust the intentions of some men so he'd rather I didn't speak to them. I couldn't even argue with his point much to be honest, because 99% of my friends who were guys, ended up liking me and started talking really sexually with me. If I told them I had a boyfriend, they'd have the audacity to say things like 'we can keep it between us', or 'he doesn't need to know', this happens to me too often. Now, I don't really have many guy friends now anyway, only one.

99% of your male friends end up talking really sexual with you? I've had that happen to me with a few of my guy friends, but not like 99%.
Wow, why would he try to do that? That's really weird. And that's sad to hear as not all guys are like that. I still have guy friends and I'm in a relationship.

It was a proper shock tbh. And it sucks, because I have really tried to have guy friends in the past. Back when I was in year 11, months before I got with my current boyfriend, I had a best friendship absolutely ruined with a guy, because he got feelings for me, and I got forced into a relationship with him.. (barely even hugged the guy, and thank God I didn't waste my first kiss on him)
It was a proper shock tbh. And it sucks, because I have really tried to have guy friends in the past. Back when I was in year 11, months before I got with my current boyfriend, I had a best friendship absolutely ruined with a guy, because he got feelings for me, and I got forced into a relationship with him.. (barely even hugged the guy, and thank God I didn't waste my first kiss on him)

Ah that's sad. Not all guys will get feelings for you though. Well they don't with me. Idk now I'm feeling insecure that I don't get much male attention.
99% of your male friends end up talking really sexual with you? I've had that happen to me with a few of my guy friends, but not like 99%.

Yeah unfortunately, only over the past few months though. In the end I just gave up and as soon as they start calling me things like 'hey cutie xx' all of a sudden, I distance myself. I'm often labelled the 'nice girl', and I think that's what gets me into a lot of trouble, maybe they just assume I'm into them or something. However, what I don't understand is when I tell them repeatedly to back off because I'm in a happy relationship, sometimes they'll go as far as to send me nude pictures, or ask for pictures of me, what angers me is when they want me to go behind my boyfriend's back. I hate it because I assume I'm good friends with certain guys, but when they encourage me to sneak around like I have zero morals, I just see a new, ugly side to their personalities and I just don't want to know them anymore.

Omg me too! I struggled making guy friends and then I made one who because my best guy friend, he had feelings for me for over a year, eventually I thought oh well I've got nothing to lose - mind you, I wasn't physically attracted to him at all, but I thought I'd get over it. I wasn't exactly forced into mine, but he'd emotionally blackmail me whenever I tried to leave so I stuck around a lot longer than I should have. Hugging felt weird, I could barely hold his hand, I couldn't even kiss him because it was so awkward. I'm really happy I didn't waste my first kiss on mine either :tongue:

Quick Reply