Earliest music memories

Watch
finallyizzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What's the first song(s) you remember knowing?

Mine are Creep by Radiohead and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others by the Smiths...bit weird really.

But I do now like both those bands!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by finallyizzy)

Mine are Creep by Radiohead and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others by the Smiths...bit weird really.

How did you come across those songs?

I remember my mum playing 'move your feet' by Junior Senior and 'our house' by Madness on YouTube. Still like them to this day
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
dido - white flag

I WILL GO DOWN WITH THISS SHIPPP
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wonderwall on a channel called "The Vault" :rofl:
Think it still exists actually
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Back for Good' by Take That is one of the earliest songs I remember, along with 'Love Is All Around' by Wet Wet Wet.

I am old enough to remember the original Take That split :shakecane:
Aladdinsaaane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This.

I have family footage of me dancing to it naked when I was 1-2 years old and crying when my parents swtich off the cassette (lol).

My dad still calls me on the phone to tell me 'my favorite song is on the radio' when it pops up once a year

SonoLuma
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

lynyrd skynyrd, what's your name.

A slightly suspect song, but I remember my father playing it, either that or the theme music to an old vhs childrens programme called "cogs hill"
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firestarter, my parents were listening to it before I was born so I've known it since I could understand music.
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I remember dancing to the "tonight you're gonna get my *kissy noises*" song on TV. For some reason, I know a lot of songs by "Ian Dury and The Blockheads". Probably not the most appropriate music for a little kid, but its good stuff and I'm glad my dad played it 24/7. Also have a load of Lily Allen songs permanently stuck in my head. When I moved to SEA, k-pop was starting to blow up, so songs like "Lucifer" by SHINee and "NU ABO" by f(x) are ingrained in my childhood too.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SeanFM)
How did you come across those songs?

I remember my mum playing 'move your feet' by Junior Senior and 'our house' by Madness on YouTube. Still like them to this day
One of your first memories of music is it being played on YouTube? :eek:

How old do I feel now - my first definite memories of listening to music are:
  1. Bizet's Carmen being performed on BBC Radio 3
  2. Led Zeppelin's Gallows Pole on an LP
  3. Some cover of the original Star Trek theme, also on LP
  4. Johnny and the Hurricanes' Reveille Rock on a CD
  5. Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (the whole album)

I don't know which one is earliest, but they'd all be from when I was three or four. By the time YouTube was a viable music distribution platform, I'd got a big enough record collection myself that I only used YouTube for showing other people music when it was the only way.

Anyone remember sending mp3s to friends on MSN?
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
GNR's Appetite for Destruction album since my mum always listened to that and then Dr Hook since my papa always played their tapes in the car :teehee:
username2885068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably Bicycle Race by Queen. Dad's a big fan and I remember sitting around in the living room as a kid with it on in the background
WhimsicalSloth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I was about five or six my dad recorded a music channel's list of the top 50 (or so) music videos of all time on a dusty old VHS tape. It included a lot of older songs like 'Imagine' by John Lennon and 'Ashes to Ashes' by David Bowie. Every time I hear the songs from that list now I do a double take and feel weirdly nostalgic all of a sudden.

But if we're going right back, I remember my Dad also recorded some operas that were translated into animated shorts for children, called Operavox.
finallyizzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Firestarter, my parents were listening to it before I was born so I've known it since I could understand music.
oh god yes, this one too! and then for some reason I remember a girl on eastenders dancing to it, and I don't even watch eastenders :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads