Katy94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I have two computers running XP Pro and have set them up to share documents accross the home network and so far there haven't been any problems. Both computers are seeing each others documents when the computers are both on. I got a new computer about 6 months ago and had that on the network and sharing documents but it got a virus so my dad wiped it. It came with XP Home and so we put that back on it but when I tell it to share "My Documents" accross the network, it doesn't show up on the other computers and visa versa, the other computers' documents don't show up on the new computer

What do I do to sort it out?
Any help would be appreciated
theArchitect
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you have any firewalls install which could be blocking traffic?
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
********** I posted as my sister, it was meant to be me posting

Ill check thanks

Edit: I've changed the settings but it hasn't worked
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you sure they are both on the same workgroup? (right click my computer -> properties -> computer name)

If they are on the same workgroup check the IP addresses are being assigned correctly. If you are using a router, this should be assigning IP addresses - so go to network connections (from control panel), select the connection to the network and right click properties, next select internet protocol (TCP/IP) from the window and click properties. It should be set up to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

If you still cannot see the computers, try pinging the IP address (find the ip address of the other computer by clicking on the relevant connection in network connections), to do this open command prompt and type:

ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

where the Xs represent the ip address
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks, I've fixed it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.35%
Not great so far... (212)
35.57%
I want to drop out! (116)
19.46%

Watched Threads