Hawkeye508
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently in year 12 and doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. I'm starting to feel that chemistry wasn't the right choice for me and I was going to replace it with Business Studies. Thinking about it though, it seems only 2 of those subjects are going to help with computer science and Business and History are bad choices. What do I do?
BTW, the uni's I'm looking at are Lancaster, Bath, Southampton, Warwick.
RS012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hawkeye508)
I'm currently in year 12 and doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. I'm starting to feel that chemistry wasn't the right choice for me and I was going to replace it with Business Studies. Thinking about it though, it seems only 2 of those subjects are going to help with computer science and Business and History are bad choices. What do I do?
BTW, the uni's I'm looking at are Lancaster, Bath, Southampton, Warwick.
computer science, maths and physics are the best a levels to take...
Hawkeye508
Rep:
?
(Original post by RS012)
computer science, maths and physics are the best a levels to take...
I did computer science as a GCSE but the school didn't offer it as an A-Level. I'm doing maths and physics so do you think they, plus good grades (A's hopefully) in history and business, will be enough for top uni's?
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths is the critical A level for computer science at university. Just make sure you have two other subjects you'll get the highest grades in. It wouldn't hurt to be doing computing obviously, but CS degrees are structured for people no experience.
Hawkeye508
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
Maths is the critical A level for computer science at university. Just make sure you have two other subjects you'll get the highest grades in. It wouldn't hurt to be doing computing obviously, but CS degrees are structured for people no experience.
Thanks for the reply!
I have some CS experience and have done/am doing some projects outside of school. I just want to do stuff I enjoy and do well in but at the same time get into a top uni. The main reason I ask is because people have been saying that Business is a soft subject and uni's don't really like. This combined with the fact history has little to do with CS worries me. I might just soldier through Chem for AS and then drop it for A2.
BigYoSpeck
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hawkeye508)
Thanks for the reply!
I have some CS experience and have done/am doing some projects outside of school. I just want to do stuff I enjoy and do well in but at the same time get into a top uni. The main reason I ask is because people have been saying that Business is a soft subject and uni's don't really like. This combined with the fact history has little to do with CS worries me. I might just soldier through Chem for AS and then drop it for A2.
Like I said, maths is your ticket onto a computer science degree, it's more valuable than a computing or ICT A level.

I'm actually doing an Acess to HE course in Computing and ICT and even though a third of my modules (5 of 15) are maths, 2 of which are pure I'm discounted from pretty much the top 10 Universities due to the lack of a maths A level.

You're on course for gaining the maths you need, that should be your priority grade. And you want two other subjects that you're confident of achieving the best grades in. It won't hurt your cause having a computing subject though when you are selling yourself on your personal statement as being passionate about computer science. But frankly, the other subject could be dance and drama.
RS012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
Like I said, maths is your ticket onto a computer science degree, it's more valuable than a computing or ICT A level.

I'm actually doing an Acess to HE course in Computing and ICT and even though a third of my modules (5 of 15) are maths, 2 of which are pure I'm discounted from pretty much the top 10 Universities due to the lack of a maths A level.

You're on course for gaining the maths you need, that should be your priority grade. And you want two other subjects that you're confident of achieving the best grades in. It won't hurt your cause having a computing subject though when you are selling yourself on your personal statement as being passionate about computer science. But frankly, the other subject could be dance and drama.
Actually this is where people are mislead, maths is a really good A-level for computer science however its not essential for a lot of unis, if you dont do maths you can still get into a top university for computer science its just some universities will also like maths, if you look on the UCAS website for a lot of CS degree it says 'Either Computing or Maths required at A-level' i was speaking to my CS teacher about this and its becoming more common for universities to want computer science at A-level as it provides all the essentials such as learning to code, which really is not as easy as people make it out to be...
BigYoSpeck
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RS012)
Actually this is where people are mislead, maths is a really good A-level for computer science however its not essential for a lot of unis, if you dont do maths you can still get into a top university for computer science its just some universities will also like maths, if you look on the UCAS website for a lot of CS degree it says 'Either Computing or Maths required at A-level' i was speaking to my CS teacher about this and its becoming more common for universities to want computer science at A-level as it provides all the essentials such as learning to code, which really is not as easy as people make it out to be...
You're right, some of the top ten say either computing or maths. The ones that don't just say maths required. So maths is the ticket into the top ten universities for computer science.

You can still get into good universities without it, I've got offers from Nottingham and Liverpool, and I'm waiting on replies from Leeds and Sheffield. But you can get into all universities with it so it's the best choice for prospective students.

Manchester would have been my first choice all things being equal, but even though my Access to HE course is in Computing and ICT with 5 maths modules (2 of which are pure) they won't consider me without a maths A level as well.

So you're right it's not essential to get into uni, it's not even essential for a Russell group institution, but it's the only A level that all the top ten ask for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads