Bad first Mid Module MCQ Score Watch

Zonnks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#1
Hello all,

Firstly im a Second Year student at Bangor University UK
Im studying Zoology with Animal Behaviour
Im aiming for a Final grade of a 2:1 at least.

I got my first mid-module MCQ mark from my module of Evolution and Genetics and it was devastating, I clearly did not do the work that was needed and its honestly been a huge shock. However lesson learned and il give it my all and ive started intensive revision.

The module is split into 3 Assessed sections so

Mid Module MCQ - 25% - I got 33/100 ( bad i know) so got 8.25%
DNA Practical Report - 40%
End of Year Exam - Jan ( 35%)

I feel quite confident on my DNA practical as ive been in the library sorting out my data and ensuring its correct however i want to do amazing at University. Does doing badly in one module affect your overall score massively?

Im doing 6 Modules in total

Field course - Travelled to India and completed it all so hopefully i get a great grade for this.
Evolution and Genetics - Ongoing till Jan
Introduction to Herpetology - Starts after Jan
Behavioural Ecology - Starts after Jan
Conservation practice - Starts after Jan
BioScience Skills - Runs through till end of year

I think im just panicking and need a little reassurance, personal peoples experiences would be really useful and how people got on with their own individual second year

I think my second year counts towards my final grade at 40% but i may be wrong.
Any advice is appreciated.
0
reply
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#2
Report 2 years ago
#2
(Original post by Zonnks)
Hello all,

Firstly im a Second Year student at Bangor University UK
Im studying Zoology with Animal Behaviour
Im aiming for a Final grade of a 2:1 at least.

I got my first mid-module MCQ mark from my module of Evolution and Genetics and it was devastating, I clearly did not do the work that was needed and its honestly been a huge shock. However lesson learned and il give it my all and ive started intensive revision.

The module is split into 3 Assessed sections so

Mid Module MCQ - 25% - I got 33/100 ( bad i know) so got 8.25%
DNA Practical Report - 40%
End of Year Exam - Jan ( 35%)

I feel quite confident on my DNA practical as ive been in the library sorting out my data and ensuring its correct however i want to do amazing at University. Does doing badly in one module affect your overall score massively?

Im doing 6 Modules in total

Field course - Travelled to India and completed it all so hopefully i get a great grade for this.
Evolution and Genetics - Ongoing till Jan
Introduction to Herpetology - Starts after Jan
Behavioural Ecology - Starts after Jan
Conservation practice - Starts after Jan
BioScience Skills - Runs through till end of year

I think im just panicking and need a little reassurance, personal peoples experiences would be really useful and how people got on with their own individual second year

I think my second year counts towards my final grade at 40% but i may be wrong.
Any advice is appreciated.
There's no need to panic. Look at it like this, your MCQ for the course of the entire degree will count for very little so you have plenty of time to make up for it in your next 2 years. No, doing badly on one module will not affect your overall score massively at all. It's all down to how well you do in your other modules. As you say the second year counts for 40% so the other 60% in your final year should be where you perform better, which a lot of students do. Just relax and push yourself to work harder now, make this experience motivate you to achieve a higher mark!

In my 2nd year I had a module that got me 52.8%. But I pulled it up in my other modules with a bunch of high 70% modules! I ended up with 70% overall for my 2nd year! So trust me when I say it's not the end of the world when you do badly in one module.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (37)
11.31%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.67%
No, but I want to start (116)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (73)
22.32%
No, I chose not to (89)
27.22%

Watched Threads

View All