The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crankyla
Like I said, I'm going back to my doctor for a physiotherapy referral. I probably should have said that I'll be preparing physically. Be aware that you may be doing 12-hour shifts on placement. You might be able to do 7-hour shifts instead if you speak to your mentor and the ward manager, but then you'd have to weigh up 12-hour shifts three/four times a week versus 7-hour shifts every day. You have to meet X number of hours in placement. How you fill those hours can be decided with your mentors.

I found the theory side to be all right. There's a lot of bioscience, going over the body's systems, but I did Biology as an A-Level so it was all familiar. Your lecturers will go into a lot of detail, though. I don't know what your usual revision technique is, but for making notes, try this: buy two notepads, and use one for class notes. Get as much written down as you can; it doesn't matter if it looks untidy. When you get home, write up your notes neatly in the second notepad (or on a laptop, if you prefer). In the last few weeks of the theory module, we started using SafeMedicate, which is a website used to practice dispensing correct medication doses. You said that you give medication already as a carer, so I don't think you'll have any problems with it :smile:.

I have tried to join a couple of care agencies but got turned down by both. I even applied for a position as a healthcare assistant at a hospital, but got turned down for that, too. So I have tried, but it hasn't worked out for me :/

Good luck for when you start. I hope it goes well for you :smile:

@Crankyla thanks for clarifying your situation further, hope you feel better soon and that nursing works out for you and Good Luck to you too:smile:

In terms of note taking and so on, thanks for the tip. :smile:
Hi, i just wanted to know how youre getting on now and if the placement got better, and if youre still on the course?Everything you said in this post i can relate to. Right now im on my first placement of first year and i dont really like it cos im very unconfident and dont have any self belief, i panic in small situations. I cant sleep at night because everything from the day replays in my head and i dread going in the next day. Its making me so miserable. I feel like im expected to know alot when its only my fifth day on placement and ive never worked in a health care environment before.I think it would be really useful to talk to someone who went through the same thing that im going through now so id be grateful if you saw this.
Hey! I see this was three years ago and I feel the exact same right now? What did you do?

Latest

Trending

Trending