Turn on thread page Beta

Help with a quick question! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Quick question.. this probably sopunds really silly but what is meant by "strong shoes"? I'm going on some conservation thing soon and they said I need some of these. But I'm not sure what they mean...! Do trainers count? :confused:

If anyone can clarify that, that wud be geat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Quick question.. this probably sopunds really silly but what is meant by "strong shoes"? I'm going on some conservation thing soon and they said I need some of these. But I'm not sure what they mean...! Do trainers count? :confused:

If anyone can clarify that, that wud be geat!
    Boots like timberland etc.. i would guess i think you might be pushing a bit in trainers

ReputationRep:
    Walking boots I guess would be best, but if their trainers with thicker leather or whatever they're using now rather than just thin mesh, they should be okay.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    boots really...trainers if they're not just cloth but leather too...

ReputationRep:
    Ah... i guess u mean those big rock solid things my male friends like to wear sometimes...

Okay, next question? Where to buy them from? And how much are they gonna cost me?

ReputationRep:
    Ah... i guess u mean those big rock solid things my male friends like to wear sometimes...

Okay, next question? Where to buy them from? And how much are they gonna cost me?
    About £60 if you are lucky!! I got some decent ones in the officers club for £30 but i dunno if there is a 'girly' equivalent!! lol!

ReputationRep:

Shoe store obviously no if you want proper shoes you can get them at Snow and Rock/ Blacks or really any moutain kind of shop. As to the cost no idea i picked up some shoes for 60 quid in the sale 3 years ago and i still have them so they're a good investment
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You can sometimes hire walking boots...I know we did when we were kids going on holidays to the lakes....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Shoe store obviously no if you want proper shoes you can get them at Snow and Rock/ Blacks or really any moutain kind of shop. As to the cost no idea i picked up some shoes for 60 quid in the sale 3 years ago and i still have them so they're a good investment
    Oh gosh. Thats gonna break my bank balance! And its next Monday too!!

Um.. mountain stores... Well seeing as I don't live any mountains... I'm a bit stuck then and I've not heard of any of the shops u mentioned! Okay...*thinks* what about normal shoe shops... do they sell them? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    You can sometimes hire walking boots...I know we did when we were kids going on holidays to the lakes....
    Good idea but there isnt really anywhere around here that provide that service.

ReputationRep:

Um.. mountain stores... Well seeing as I don't live any mountains... I'm a bit stuck then and I've not heard of any of the shops u mentioned! Okay...*thinks* what about normal shoe shops... do they sell them? :confused:
    yeah course and they'll be a lot cheaper though they probably won't last as long/be as good/comfy
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

they should do - though they might be more expensive...

Try looking in your local macro/professional clothing providers (you know uniforms etc) - they should have good work boots with steel toe caps for £10-£20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    yeah course and they'll be a lot cheaper though they probably won't last as long/be as good/comfy
    Hmm... okay. I'm picturing those mustardy yellow boot things... is that what u all mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    they should do - though they might be more expensive...

Try looking in your local macro/professional clothing providers (you know uniforms etc) - they should have good work boots with steel toe caps for £10-£20
    LOL. We don't have one round here.... It's so dead around here.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... okay. I'm picturing those mustardy yellow boot things... is that what u all mean?
    no actually a good idea is to go to an army surplus store they'll definetely have them and they should be pretty cheap

ReputationRep:
    Non-walkers always have the most expensive boots.

I walk quite a lot where I live (which is near the Pennine Way) and the amateurs have all the gear (£100 boots, huge rucksack, big stick (what are those sticks for ?!)) and the regulars just wear normal stuff.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Are you sure - they're often tucked away in dark corners of industrial estates...check the yellow pages under: Armed Service Outfitters
    Industrial Protective Clothing
    or
    Workwear

Alternatively look for an army/navy store...or check your local charity shops if you're only likely to need the boots for a short time.

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere has them shops *skye*

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.