The Student Room Group

Abuse via advice

I'm getting sick of this - I'm a polite soft spoken person who doesn't like to force his views on others - especially strangers who I don't know. Yet, besides my attitude of staying out of people's business. People love to bombard me with their views and advice like I need it or asked for it, it's like they're on a mission.

For example, I was drinking a coke and greeted a random guy at the gym out of courtesy. He immediately gave me unasked for advice about the dangers of sugar and told me to stop drinking it. How do you even know I'm not aware you assuming prick?

People love to assume stuff about me and give me a personality analysis and tell me who I am, what do I need and what I should do just after exchanging a few social pleasantries

So sick of this. I wish there was a way to tell them off without being rude. The easy way seems to avoid talking to strangers all together. Be super aloof. Atleast I won't be annoyed and be left in peace.
Original post by NobleLeather
I'm getting sick of this - I'm a polite soft spoken person who doesn't like to force his views on others - especially strangers who I don't know. Yet, besides my attitude of staying out of people's business. People love to bombard me with their views and advice like I need it or asked for it, it's like they're on a mission.

For example, I was drinking a coke and greeted a random guy at the gym out of courtesy. He immediately gave me unasked for advice about the dangers of sugar and told me to stop drinking it. How do you even know I'm not aware you assuming prick?

People love to assume stuff about me and give me a personality analysis and tell me who I am, what do I need and what I should do just after exchanging a few social pleasantries

So sick of this. I wish there was a way to tell them off without being rude. The easy way seems to avoid talking to strangers all together. Be super aloof. Atleast I won't be annoyed and be left in peace.

This seems to be a rant rather than a question. Is this right?
There's no other way, to get rid of them, than to be 'rude' and tell them to get lost.
Try and look at it from a different perspective. That people are interested enough in wanting to interact with you and want to help you. Like people on this Forum or family or friends. I understand what you mean, especially if it happens often.But I would imagine the people offering the advice are doing so in a well meaning manner, and are not being malicious or nasty.
Original post by markova21
Try and look at it from a different perspective. That people are interested enough in wanting to interact with you and want to help you. Like people on this Forum or family or friends. I understand what you mean, especially if it happens often.But I would imagine the people offering the advice are doing so in a well meaning manner, and are not being malicious or nasty.

So true! Thank you, you helped me change my perspective, that was a well thought out and mature response.

Quick Reply

Latest