The Student Room Group

What degree sounds better to employers: Economics, or Economics and Management?

I've applied for straight Economics at Warwick, Nottingham and UCL.

Looking at Bristol and KCL, if I were to study straight Economics my module choices would look very similar to their Economics and Management Degree.

Assuming I'm going to learn pretty much the same thing, would Economics and Management look any better/worse on my CV in these industries when compared to straight Economics?
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends.

I am from France and I have noticed that Management is more valued in France than in other countries - here if you did something like MSc Management at HEC Paris (top business school) then employers literally reach out to you. Management associated with top French / American business schools like HEC, INSEAD, Wharton, HBS, Stanford, ESCP is definitely prestigious.

In the UK, Economics has more charm, especially from places like UCL / LSE. With econometrics, it is associated as more quantitative.

You've mentioned Warwick - its business school is also one of the best in Europe. Warwick Business School is in fact much more famous in France than Warwick University itself, so Management there is a good idea.

Also, Management is good when it provides you with the opportunity to take MIS modules - management information systems / tech management etc.

I guess if you're more into quant / econometrics stuff choose pure economics, if you're into managerial stuff choose the latter. Ultimately, I don't think it will make much difference. A greater difference will be, for example, whether you go to UCL or Bristol to be honest.
matters not
doesn't matter in the slightest
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
Depends.

I am from France and I have noticed that Management is more valued in France than in other countries - here if you did something like MSc Management at HEC Paris (top business school) then employers literally reach out to you. Management associated with top French / American business schools like HEC, INSEAD, Wharton, HBS, Stanford, ESCP is definitely prestigious.

In the UK, Economics has more charm, especially from places like UCL / LSE. With econometrics, it is associated as more quantitative.

You've mentioned Warwick - its business school is also one of the best in Europe. Warwick Business School is in fact much more famous in France than Warwick University itself, so Management there is a good idea.

Also, Management is good when it provides you with the opportunity to take MIS modules - management information systems / tech management etc.

I guess if you're more into quant / econometrics stuff choose pure economics, if you're into managerial stuff choose the latter. Ultimately, I don't think it will make much difference. A greater difference will be, for example, whether you go to UCL or Bristol to be honest.

No, economics doesn't get you into quant jobs. Jobs that let in peeps with an econ degree use GCSE level maths.
Original post by Mandem67
No, economics doesn't get you into quant jobs. Jobs that let in peeps with an econ degree use GCSE level maths.

Wow, really? I personally knew a guy from LSE from MSc Accounting and Finance course who got a quant job in one of the banks - how then?

What do all of the econometrics people do with their quantitative knowledge then?
Wow, really? I personally knew a guy from LSE from MSc Accounting and Finance course who got a quant job in one of the banks - how then?

What do all of the econometrics people do with their quantitative knowledge then?

I think the idea is you can go into Quant jobs with Econometrics, but also with maths, physics, and straight economics and Comp Science most likely too. So basically Econometrics isn't the only way in.

They usually work at economic consultancies or think tanks, analysing economic data. Accounting and finance does not prepare you for a quant role. You need a maths, physics, computer science or engineering degree for a quant role. The guy you're talking about probably did one of these degrees for his undergrad then did an msc in accounting and finance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mandem67
They usually work at economic consultancies or think tanks, analysing economic data. Accounting and finance does not prepare you for a quant role. You need a maths, physics, computer science or engineering degree for a quant role. The guy you're talking about probably did one of these degrees for his undergrad then did an msc in accounting and finance.

Can you do risk management, and NOT be a quant? He did that, and his undergrad was actually management - what do you say to this?
Reply 9
Can you do risk management, and NOT be a quant? He did that, and his undergrad was actually management - what do you say to this?

Yes you can. Market risk, credit risk, operational risk are all non-quant roles for the most part. These are where most risk jobs are.

Yh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, risk management is mostly not quant, some of it is. You just got destroyed lmfao

Quick Reply

Latest