The Student Room Group

What explains my total lack of energy IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY?! Thyroid gland?

I often visit my GP - like recently I had my body moles checked for melanoma cancer because I was so worried - so I am anxious to go there again to ask about my energy levels.

However, for quite some time I've been tired in the middle of the day and feel extreme fatigue.

It is directly related to my mood swings and what is probably more important - my heart beat.

I've noticed that my heart beats very slow when I have this low energy state, and my mood is somewhat down as well.

When I am in high energy state my heart beats normally and my mood is 'okay' as well.

Could this be thyroid gland problem? I've read a lot about it! I used to drink quite a lot of coffee and energy drinks when I was studying.

Alternatively, what could this be? Something to do with diet, hormones?
Reply 1
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
I often visit my GP - like recently I had my body moles checked for melanoma cancer because I was so worried - so I am anxious to go there again to ask about my energy levels.

However, for quite some time I've been tired in the middle of the day and feel extreme fatigue.

It is directly related to my mood swings and what is probably more important - my heart beat.

I've noticed that my heart beats very slow when I have this low energy state, and my mood is somewhat down as well.

When I am in high energy state my heart beats normally and my mood is 'okay' as well.

Could this be thyroid gland problem? I've read a lot about it! I used to drink quite a lot of coffee and energy drinks when I was studying.

It's better to go ask your GP, as they're more qualified than random students here.
Original post by kkboyk
It's better to go ask your GP, as they're more qualified than random students here.

Yes but I visit him so often lol
Reply 3
Yes but I visit him so often lol

Nothing wrong with that, and it's clear that you're worried.

If it bothers you that much about seeing him so often, have you thought of attending those NHS walk in centres?
Reply 4

This is something to see your doctor about. Write down all the things you think are strange including the tiredness, mood swings and heart-ish issues and take it to your appointment. I also suggest you write down how much you tend to sleep and things like that to give them an idea of what "unusually tired" and things like that mean. I used to beat around the bush a little when it came to how tired I was and I should have really pointed out that I slept at least 12 hours and didn't have late nights partying or anything but was still exhausted and nearly falling asleep at school. I think when you're a teenager they kinda assume you just haven't gotten the hang of a proper routine yet or party loads.

It does sound quite a bit like thyroid issues, in which case they can put you on some medication that should sort it. There are a good few other possibilities though including other vitamin or hormone imbalances so your doctor will probably test a few levels with a blood test.

Don't be embarassed about going back to your gp even if you see them often. This could even be the reason you are anxious about your health and have a lot of little things you tend to notice. Doctors are there to help and this is something you should get help with.

You might also find it helpful to check out mind.org and sane.org if you have low mood often. They have some good info and advice on various mh conditions and although the advice is aimed at actual conditions mostly it can still be very good for just low mood or for preventing things becoming a bigger issue. A lot of the conditions that cause tiredness and low energy can also lead to low mood, depression and anxiety. Basically it's not just your body that's tired but also your brain and a tired brain can lead to mood issues.

Good luck working it out. It can sometimes take a few tests to find out what the issues is cos basically there are so many possibilities that if they tested for all of them at the same time you'd run out of blood :P
Don't be discouraged if the first few tests come back fine, just keep pushing on until you find the cause :smile:

Probably that your are on internet forums at 2.07am (I see ur still online)

Pls dont waste your GP's time
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you put on any weight recently? That can also be linked to hypothyroidism. I put on over 50lbs before I was diagnosed a couple of months back. Weirdly my heart never beats below 120/min but usually you're right that bradycardia is the more common symptom.

Another thing to consider is whether you are getting too much sleep. I know if I sleep 12 hrs at night I'm tired all the next day. It is possible to oversleep.
Reply 7
It could also be iron defiency anaemia. Initially, I displayed the same symptoms you are experiencing and thought that I had a Thyroid problem. However, my blood sample came back showing that I had an iron deficiency. I was diagnosed with this after having problems retaining information. This was actually noticed by the practice educator I had been shadowing, who commented to my placement coordinator about my memory. My other symptoms included:always being cold (particularly my feet), hair loss, insomnia, nails spliiting at the sides, palpitations (heart missing beats), retaining information, concentration, exhaustion and and my anxiety levels also increased.

You would be better visiting your GP and describe your symtoms to them. They should offer to take blood samples to be sent off for testing. If they don't, you should ask for them to do some blood tests to rule anything out.
Original post by gadgfan
It could also be iron defiency anaemia. Initially, I displayed the same symptoms you are experiencing and thought that I had a Thyroid problem. However, my blood sample came back showing that I had an iron deficiency. I was diagnosed with this after having problems retaining information. This was actually noticed by the practice educator I had been shadowing, who commented to my placement coordinator about my memory. My other symptoms included:always being cold (particularly my feet), hair loss, insomnia, nails spliiting at the sides, palpitations (heart missing beats), retaining information, concentration, exhaustion and and my anxiety levels also increased.

You would be better visiting your GP and describe your symtoms to them. They should offer to take blood samples to be sent off for testing. If they don't, you should ask for them to do some blood tests to rule anything out.

That's very interesting thank you for sharing this. How do you substitute for the iron deficit? I have all the symptons you described, apart from 3: I do not have the nails splitting, hair loss and my memory is as usual. I do have cold feet, and hands, I guess higher anxiety levels, exhaustion.
Reply 9
That's very interesting thank you for sharing this. How do you substitute for the iron deficit? I have all the symptons you described, apart from 3: I do not have the nails splitting, hair loss and my memory is as usual. I do have cold feet, and hands, I guess higher anxiety levels, exhaustion.

I was prescribed Ferrous Sulphate and had to take 2 a day for three months until my iron levels increased, which was in July of this year. During this period, I felt I had more energy and my nails didn't split. However I sometimes feel that I am reverting back to how I was before taking the iron supplements as I'm still experiencing palpitations, coldness and brittle nails. Should any of the other symptoms reappear, I will be back at my GP for more tests.
Original post by gadgfan
I was prescribed Ferrous Sulphate and had to take 2 a day for three months until my iron levels increased, which was in July of this year. During this period, I felt I had more energy and my nails didn't split. However I sometimes feel that I am reverting back to how I was before taking the iron supplements as I'm still experiencing palpitations, coldness and brittle nails. Should any of the other symptoms reappear, I will be back at my GP for more tests.

I assume it isn't possible to get this iron deficit on balance with natural foods and just normal supplements available without prescription?
Reply 11
I assume it isn't possible to get this iron deficit on balance with natural foods and just normal supplements available without prescription?

Not for me it wasn't. The weird thing about it is, I had been living 60 miles away from home as I wanted to be closer to uni. When I was informed of the anaemia I did some research and found that Kale is high in iron so I went and bought some, I felt a difference in my energy levels a couple of hours after consuming the Kale, this was before I obtained my prescription.

I have been taking multi-vitamin tablets with iron since I stopped the Ferrous Sulphate and I feel that it makes a difference. I don't know if my iron levels were too low for the MV tablets and iron rich foods to have any effect on my iron stores. I hope that if I can keep supplementing it the way I'm doing just now, things will be okay, and hope that the symptoms I'm displaying are due to seaspnal changes.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest