Does first year at university of Hertfordshire count to your degree?

Watch
askalot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does the performance of first year (studying law) at Hertfordshire count towards your degree?
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by askalot)
Does the performance of first year (studying law) at Hertfordshire count towards your degree?
No.

It's based upon 2nd and 3rd yer results. See below.

(i) Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (BA Hons, BSc Hons, BEng Hons, etc.) classification will be based upon: - The best 90 credits at level 6 (weighted 75%); - The best 90 credits of the remaining level 5 & 6 credits (weighted 25%);
Under these rules at least 60 credits and up to 90 credits from your level 5 (2nd Year) modules are included when calculating your classification
Source: http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/secreg/upr/...20Students.pdf
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, as Kvothe the Arcane says - you need to pass (i.e get over 40) in all modules, and all assessed parts of modules (i.e. you can't get over 60 on a 50% coursework element and 35 on the remaining 50% exam element but still pass the module because it averages over 40) but the actual marks received for each module do not count towards your final degree classification.
hamzaahmad786
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, as Kvothe the Arcane says - you need to pass (i.e get over 40) in all modules, and all assessed parts of modules (i.e. you can't get over 60 on a 50% coursework element and 35 on the remaining 50% exam element but still pass the module because it averages over 40) but the actual marks received for each module do not count towards your final degree classification.
That will depend on the course spec. I know some people who passed on aggregate.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hamzaahmad786)
That will depend on the course spec. I know some people who passed on aggregate.
Can you provide some evidence for that claim? I can't find any on the University of Hertfordshire website which states you can fail a module but pass on aggregate.
hamzaahmad786
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Can you provide some evidence for that claim? I can't find any on the University of Hertfordshire website which states you can fail a module but pass on aggregate.
There's quite a few modules like that in the business school...e.g if you read the module guide for "Forecasting Methods for Managers", in the assessment section it says clearly "This module is pass on aggregate". But as mentioned, it depends on the course and school. I know that it is not the case for Pharmacy students.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hamzaahmad786)
There's quite a few modules like that in the business school...e.g if you read the module guide for "Forecasting Methods for Managers", in the assessment section it says clearly "This module is pass on aggregate". But as mentioned, it depends on the course and school. I know that it is not the case for Pharmacy students.
Thanks
StudyHard.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As the others have said, it doesn't count (you still need to pass though). However, from experience, it's best to try and get a really good grade if you are looking to study abroad or get a scholarship. For example, applying to study abroad in California is extremely competitive and they will then go for those with the best grades .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads