Police detention under Section 136 - Do you need to declare on 'criminal convictions'

Watch
Lizzipth_Floyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

If you have been detained by police due to mental health problems under a 136 and taken to a 'place of safety' (136 suite) to be assessed by mental health professionals, would this be something you had to declare on 'declaration of criminal offences'?

There is no 'crime' involved, and it was pertaining to risk to self, but have read some sources which say a 136 still shows up on a DBS check, so I am confused.

Any advice much appreciated.
Broken_crystal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
Hello,

If you have been detained by police due to mental health problems under a 136 and taken to a 'place of safety' (136 suite) to be assessed by mental health professionals, would this be something you had to declare on 'declaration of criminal offences'?

There is no 'crime' involved, and it was pertaining to risk to self, but have read some sources which say a 136 still shows up on a DBS check, so I am confused.

Hey I've heard that a standard dbs won't include this information but if it's an enhanced dbs check, it will include any non convction held about you in police records which police considers relevant.
For the bit u have to declare a criminal offence there's nothing you've done, try and do more research or call places to get them to confirm this situation.
Hope this helps
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not a criminal issue, but it is a significant material fact that should be declared on your occupational health form
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
It's not a criminal issue, but it is a significant materal fact that should be declared on your occupational health form
^THIS.

If in doubt, declare it - you'd got nothing to feel shady about, anyway.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,

There is an article on working as a healthcare professional with a mental health diagnosis linked in my signature below which you may find useful. It covers a lot of aspects of disclosure and occupational health issues.

Ultimately it would be advisable to speak to the university regarding this, to see whether they would find it appropriate to disclose. Failure to disclose if it does turn up on your DBS may be viewed quite negatively, and you would be expected to disclose this to the occupational health team anyway so it would be useful to start a discussion about this so the incident can be documented and assessed.
ButterflyRN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not 100% sure, but I do not think Section 136's, Section 2's, Section 4's and Section 5's show up in a DBS check but Section 3's do. They are not criminal convictions but it may be an idea to disclose it anyway and disclose it on your OH form. I was recently detained under a 5.2 and 2, my employer's and OH are fully aware and has not caused any issues whatsoever
Lizzipth_Floyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ButterflyRN)
I am not 100% sure, but I do not think Section 136's, Section 2's, Section 4's and Section 5's show up in a DBS check but Section 3's do. They are not criminal convictions but it may be an idea to disclose it anyway and disclose it on your OH form. I was recently detained under a 5.2 and 2, my employer's and OH are fully aware and has not caused any issues whatsoever
Thank you all for the replies.

I have also unfortunately been on a section 3 in the past So worried this will affect my chances of passing occupational health.
ButterflyRN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you all for the replies.

I have also unfortunately been on a section 3 in the past So worried this will affect my chances of passing occupational health.
It shouldn't do hun. It's not an actual crime. But be honest and open with your uni and you should be fine. It will probably mean you will have to see OH a couple of times to get clearance, but as long as your GP/psych says you are stable you will be fine. Don't worry, you will be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.87%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (74)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (90)
12.88%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (75)
10.73%
Financial worries (43)
6.15%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.43%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
6.01%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (67)
9.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.87%

Watched Threads