Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got into my first choice uni but unhappy with a grade I got at A-Level, is it worth it to retake a module just to boost a grade from a D to a C? Also how do I go about doing it? Don't I have to decline a grade before a deadline date? Also is it a good idea since I'll be going to uni this year? Any sites with this info would be a great help too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_C)
    I got into my first choice uni but unhappy with a grade I got at A-Level, is it worth it to retake a module just to boost a grade from a D to a C? Also how do I go about doing it? Don't I have to decline a grade before a deadline date? Also is it a good idea since I'll be going to uni this year? Any sites with this info would be a great help too.
    May I ask, why are you doing A-level? What is the purpose of it? It seems to me that you just need to pass A-level and go to univerisity. As long as you are accepted into a university, why bother about A-level? What is going to matter in the future is the class of the degree you get from the university.
    You should always look forward but not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_C)
    i thought about this as well, but kelvin makes a good point. Once you are at university who cares about A-levels. Similar about caring about GCSEs whilst doing a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelvin)
    May I ask, why are you doing A-level? What is the purpose of it? It seems to me that you just need to pass A-level and go to univerisity. As long as you are accepted into a university, why bother about A-level? What is going to matter in the future is the class of the degree you get from the university.
    You should always look forward but not the other way round.
    lol..I'm just annoyed I got a D for German, when I was 5 points away from a C :mad: people don't look at A-Level results at all if you've got a degree? & this is looking forward, cos a C in German at A-Level might help in the future :shrug:

Edited - didn't see the second post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_C)
    lol..I'm just annoyed I got a D for German, when I was 5 points away from a C :mad: people don't look at A-Level results at all if you've got a degree? & this iis looking forward, cos a C in German at A-Level might help in the future :shrug:
    Maybe you are right. i cannot give you any future suggestions because I am not doing German and I don't know how the system works with modern languages...Sorri

ReputationRep:
    You could always ask for a remark if there is only 5 marks in it, as whilst the degree from uni is more important, ALevels are stil looked at by most employers

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_C)
    lol..I'm just annoyed I got a D for German, when I was 5 points away from a C :mad: people don't look at A-Level results at all if you've got a degree? & this is looking forward, cos a C in German at A-Level might help in the future :shrug:

Edited - didn't see the second post.
    Well, I understand why you want to re-do it! My A levels were pretty pants and, although I've got my degree and almost finished my PGDip, I'd like to fill in the gaps so to speak.

It might make a difference if your degree doesn't have an element of German in it job wise. I mean, if your Uni programme is going to be something with German, or even German 'by itself', (if such things really exist in the modern Uni system), then it's not worth it - the employer will look at your degree. However, if your degree is non-German related, it may be worth up-ing your grade, or you could look into a more professional type of qualification in German such as the Institute of Linguists Advanced Certificate (www.iol.org.uk - or something like that!), which is A Level equivalent. Also, there's the Göethe Institut's courses which are a recoginised level of achievement in German.

Good hunting!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.