cho
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have failed my first placement on the PGCE course in early years. The mentor did not get along with me. Did my best to do everything she wanted me to improve. Emulated her teaching style, researched and observed other colleagues. The school is lovely. However felt I did not fit in with the staff no matter how positive, enthusiastic and proactive I was. She did put me on targeted support as I was " a cause for concern"

I was told behaviour management and subject knowledge had gaps in. Colleagues on my course I spoken too. Asked what they have been doing. I have been doing everything-verbal praise, stickers, house points etc.
Lesson plans-reading on subjects before I plan. Making it engaging.

I feel my confidence has been knocked out by this mentor. She told me I have passed students before and telling the uni tutors this too. Well not doing a good job as at one point she said" I do not know how to help you."

Another student is in the same school-she has a class teacher and NQT. Her teacher is supportive and positive about feedback. She got most passes. I have seen her teach, I do the same things she does.

Mine was a constant this is not right. I take constructive feedback well. As I took it on board. When I failed the mentor said I did say this week4-5 you are a cause for concern. I know and took all the feedback she gave me and did things differently, improved. Not feedback of progress. She seemed fed up with me. I felt I was more professional than she was.

The tutors observed me from uni, they said we listened to your mentor and not met all the teacher standards. They said I have 3 options-
1) withdraw from the course
2) withdraw temporarily and come back next year with some more experience in school.
3) Retake the first placement, however if you fail thats it no more retakes.
Sportycb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just wondered if you had made your decision. I got offered the same options as well and was going to PM you with some advice but don't know if I ever got round to it as Christmas got in the way.
cho
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sportycb PM please. I will get back to you at the end of the day
redberries84
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
redberries84
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cho)
I have failed my first placement on the PGCE course in early years. The mentor did not get along with me. Did my best to do everything she wanted me to improve. Emulated her teaching style, researched and observed other colleagues. The school is lovely. However felt I did not fit in with the staff no matter how positive, enthusiastic and proactive I was. She did put me on targeted support as I was " a cause for concern"

I was told behaviour management and subject knowledge had gaps in. Colleagues on my course I spoken too. Asked what they have been doing. I have been doing everything-verbal praise, stickers, house points etc.
Lesson plans-reading on subjects before I plan. Making it engaging.

I feel my confidence has been knocked out by this mentor. She told me I have passed students before and telling the uni tutors this too. Well not doing a good job as at one point she said" I do not know how to help you."

Another student is in the same school-she has a class teacher and NQT. Her teacher is supportive and positive about feedback. She got most passes. I have seen her teach, I do the same things she does.

Mine was a constant this is not right. I take constructive feedback well. As I took it on board. When I failed the mentor said I did say this week4-5 you are a cause for concern. I know and took all the feedback she gave me and did things differently, improved. Not feedback of progress. She seemed fed up with me. I felt I was more professional than she was.

The tutors observed me from uni, they said we listened to your mentor and not met all the teacher standards. They said I have 3 options-
1) withdraw from the course
2) withdraw temporarily and come back next year with some more experience in school.
3) Retake the first placement, however if you fail thats it no more retakes.
hi everyone
I am a SCITT student. I successfully passed my first placement. My second placement is in ks1 at a school that requires improvement however, this contradicts to what my uni have mentioned in their website. They have said they only send trainees to good or outstanding schools.
Also, I started my second placement after Christmas, I need a minimum of 6 observations to pass each term. Before February half term I got 5 observations which I passed, 4 of them with good elements and one meeting the standards which was my first observation of the term. However, suddenly on my last observation I went from meeting with good elements to not meeting at all. They have mentioned things like subject knowledge, yet this has never been one of my weekly targets neither has it ever been mentioned until last week. I then got criticised for not using enough praise. The class teacher is also my mentor. She has used words towards the children such as "stupid, idiot, stop crying like a baby, even a baby can do this work" etc. She has also ripped pages out of a Childs book 2-3 times as that child got their work wrong. During one of my observations she told me to get one of the children's books and show it to the entire class as a bad example (as this child didn't produce enough work) yet she contradicts with her advice.
my mentor has also admitted that although she has mentored 1st and 2nd year students she has never mentored a SCITT student.
I have emailed my uni about all this as well telling the head of school, but unfortunately no one is listening, I have asked the head to investigate this issue further and not to take my word for it.
I don't know what to do, uni will be putting me on a support plan, which I had only 6 -7 days to meet those targets. Is there any chance of me actually passing this now? Has anyone ever passed if they've been put on a support plan? Or should I just prepare myself for the worst?
thankyou
redberries84
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi everyone
I am a SCITT student. I successfully passed my first placement. My second placement is in ks1 at a school that requires improvement however, this contradicts to what my uni have mentioned in their website. They have said they only send trainees to good or outstanding schools.
Also, I started my second placement after Christmas, I need a minimum of 6 observations to pass each term. Before February half term I got 5 observations which I passed, 4 of them with good elements and one meeting the standards which was my first observation of the term. However, suddenly on my last observation I went from meeting with good elements to not meeting at all. They have mentioned things like subject knowledge, yet this has never been one of my weekly targets neither has it ever been mentioned until last week. I then got criticised for not using enough praise. The class teacher is also my mentor. She has used words towards the children such as "stupid, idiot, stop crying like a baby, even a baby can do this work" etc. She has also ripped pages out of a Childs book 2-3 times as that child got their work wrong. During one of my observations she told me to get one of the children's books and show it to the entire class as a bad example (as this child didn't produce enough work) yet she contradicts with her advice.
my mentor has also admitted that although she has mentored 1st and 2nd year students she has never mentored a SCITT student.
I have emailed my uni about all this as well telling the head of school, but unfortunately no one is listening, I have asked the head to investigate this issue further and not to take my word for it.
I don't know what to do, uni will be putting me on a support plan, which I had only 6 -7 days to meet those targets. Is there any chance of me actually passing this now? Has anyone ever passed if they've been put on a support plan? Or should I just prepare myself for the worst?
thankyou
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Withdraw temporarily and come back to the PGCE again. There is nothing wrong with taking a step back. As teachers we need to reflect on our practice and look ways for improvement. Work in all year groups - maybe work in a higher year group, try a different school? In that time familiarise yourself with the teaching standards and read about the in's and out's of the national curriculum, fill in the gaps in your knowledge! And come back to it again in September.

At the end of the day, it isn't your fault and some things don't run smooth as butter. There is no harm in trying again! You sound hard working and determined, don't let it get you down xx
redberries84
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samina_ay)
Withdraw temporarily and come back to the PGCE again. There is nothing wrong with taking a step back. As teachers we need to reflect on our practice and look ways for improvement. Work in all year groups - maybe work in a higher year group, try a different school? In that time familiarise yourself with the teaching standards and read about the in's and out's of the national curriculum, fill in the gaps in your knowledge! And come back to it again in September.

At the end of the day, it isn't your fault and some things don't run smooth as butter. There is no harm in trying again! You sound hard working and determined, don't let it get you down xx
thankyou for your reply. If I withdraw will I have to redo the term that I passed? Does this mean that once ill be put on a support plan there is no chance of passing? I doubt my uni will give me another opportunity. What if I refuse to withdraw? Also for me to redo the pgce again would mean redoing the qts skills test as they will expire next summer. And there's no way I think anyone will give me a pgce place this September 😒
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by redberries84)
thankyou for your reply. If I withdraw will I have to redo the term that I passed? Does this mean that once ill be put on a support plan there is no chance of passing? I doubt my uni will give me another opportunity. What if I refuse to withdraw? Also for me to redo the pgce again would mean redoing the qts skills test as they will expire next summer. And there's no way I think anyone will give me a pgce place this September 😒
Oh I'm not sure about that. But withdrawing will mean re-doing the whole process again and I'm sure your university will let you do the PGCE at their institution. Contact tutors etc.
Annu12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone. Currently I am in the process of retaking my second placement. I had an awful experience at my last placement and was comforted by my tutor that no one else will get the same Class teacher that I had which makes me feel that I was a guinea pig in all of this. It has been a month into the term and there has been no talk about my next placement. How long did anyone on this forum have to wait to find a school? Would you recommend to voice my issues or give the uni time to find me a place?Thanks
Last edited by Annu12; 4 weeks ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it is always worth phoning, see what you can achieve with a direct chat rather than waiting for something to happen - especially as you are fretting a bit
my bro also had a horrid placement , ancient teachers with prejudice , so he retrained to become a nurse!
Annu12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you. I have a meeting in a couple of weeks time where I will push for answers. Did your brother still complete his course? If so, did it take a while to resit?

Ps my CT was also ancient!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yes his degree in art from Swansea was fun but got no job, his follow-on PGCE was completed apart from a failed practical time in classroom , supervised by dinosaurs, and he's very happy now having got his 'third' degree in Nursing.... (he didn't resit - he retrained, again)

...I personally taught hundreds & hundreds of engineers over the years after just a 3-day teaching course... but that was "industrial technical training" a bit like QVC as compared to BBC1
Last edited by LuigiMario; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%