"Only Christians should celebrate Christmas". Discuss

Watch
catholicgirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am interested to find out your opinions!
rainbow.panda
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Considering Christmas was originally a Pagan festival and therefore has nothing to do with Jesus, I'd say no.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
By definition, if it celebrates the arrival of the new Messiah, then those celebrating the first Christmas would all have been non-Christians. Ergo, Christmas liturgically must be for all. Just like anyone can perform a baptism - you don't have to be a Catholic, as canonically, John the Baptist could not have been a Christian in order to baptise Christ.
Aladdinsaaane
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Sounds a lot like 'Only heterosexuals should get married'.

Christians need to stop hijacking and stealing everything from others and then claiming they invented it and then excluding everybody else from it. Whether that be Christmas or marriage. It's not very Christ-like behaviour. The guy has been rolling in his grave for the last several hundred / thousand years or whenever it was that he died.
HANNAHBENLOLO
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
My family is not Christian but since I can remember we have been pro-Christmas in France with all the folklore and commerce as though it was our own.
catholicgirl
Rep:
(Original post by Aladdinsaaane)
Sounds a lot like 'Only heterosexuals should get married'.

Christians need to stop hijacking and stealing everything from others and then claiming they invented it and then excluding everybody else from it. Whether that be Christmas or marriage. It's not very Christ-like behaviour. The guy has been rolling in his grave for the last several hundred / thousand years or whenever it was that he died.
First of all you cannot possibly compare marriage and Christmas. Moreover, how is celebrating the the birth of Jesus hijacking and stealing?? I agree that the 25th of December used to be a pagan holiday BUT it was not called 'Christmas'. Christmas was created by CHRISTIANS (as the exact date of birth of Jesus was unknown, so the 25th of December was picking to celebrate it).

Therefore, on the 25th of December Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus (Christmas). So if anyone else is ONLY celebrating being with family, exchanging present etc they should create another name for that stuff (like PAGANmas). Because it is money making cooperation's who HIJACKED Christmas in order to make money.
Aladdinsaaane
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by catholicgirl)
First of all you cannot possible compare marriage and Christmas.
I was not comparing marriage and Christmas to each other. I just stated the fact that both concepts were stolen by Christians and claimed as their own invention.

Moreover, how is celebrating the the birth of Jesus hijacking and stealing
I never said that celebrating the birth of Jesus is hijacing and stealing.

I didn't read any further as I quite enjoy my brain cells staying intact.
catholicgirl
Rep:
(Original post by Aladdinsaaane)
I was not comparing marriage and Christmas to each other. I just stated the fact that both concepts were stolen by Christians and claimed as their own invention.

I never said that celebrating the birth of Jesus is hijacing and stealing.

I didn't read any further as I quite enjoy my brain cells staying intact.
Stop going back on what you said just because I proved you wrong

LOL, yes you did read further, you're just denying it because that's where I OBLITERATED your incompetent logic.
markova21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I have a friend who is a Jehovas Witness. She is English and is married to an Irish Catholic man here in Northern Ireland. Their two children [the eldest is her husbands stepson] are being brought up as Jehovas Witnesses. They don't celebrate Christmas in the sense that they don't send /give presents or cards. They do however stuff their faces with turkey, mince pies and everything else. So that the two boys never missed out , on one day of the year, usually sometime in the summer, they had a Present Day, when both lads got a **** load of presents, all wrapped up. No birthdays, but obviously they know how old they are and on the date they are a year older each year. Most people still wish my friend a happy birthday on Facebook as they don't know she's a Jehovas Witness. This being Northern Ireland and all that, it's not something she shouts from the roof tops, which is kind of sad. She's the lovliest, kindest person.
markova21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
First of all you cannot possibly compare marriage and Christmas. Moreover, how is celebrating the the birth of Jesus hijacking and stealing?? I agree that the 25th of December used to be a pagan holiday BUT it was not called 'Christmas'. Christmas was created by CHRISTIANS (as the exact date of birth of Jesus was unknown, so the 25th of December was picking to celebrate it).

Therefore, on the 25th of December Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus (Christmas). So if anyone else is ONLY celebrating being with family, exchanging present etc they should create another name for that stuff (like PAGANmas). Because it is money making cooperation's who HIJACKED Christmas in order to make money.
Plus, isn't there evidence he was actually born in or around June?
Aladdinsaaane
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Stop going back on what you said just because I proved you wrong

LOL, yes you did read further, you're just denying it because that's where I OBLITERATED your incompetent logic.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Christmas is a messy amalgamation of different aspects from a vast array of origins.. ranging from religions to cultural traditions, to corporate inventions, to smaller scale local innovations from just a single family to a whole town or country. What Christmas means is unique to each person, and can vary hugely just between two families in the same town, let alone people from different countries.

You could argue that yes, those who are not religious should not partake in the aspects of Christmas that come from Christianity (the name, the carols, nativity plays, etc)

However given that we are a people (native British) that are largely abandoning organised spiritual religion in favor of social ideological religions, I would suggest that there is nothing more fitting for the UK, then how we currently celebrate Christmas. Taking part in the religious side, but not for the religious reasons is very apt.

For me personally, I am religious, and I love both the religious and non-religious sides of Christmas. I would suggest that the idea that religious festivals become exclusive, and are not for those who are not of that religion, is a very un-christian idea in principle..

Id also add this song:

Its a good summery of the conflicts of modern Christmas for many..
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
But Christmas is fun
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Our Lord is the Saviour of everyone, therefore everyone should celebrate His Glorious Birth
Marath
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I really see Christmas as being a cultural event far more than a religious one. I am not religious in the slightest but I still celebrate Christmas, just none of the religious aspects.

There is so much around modern Christmas nowadays which has very little to do with religion. Would you make the same argument about christians being the only ones who should be allowed to celebrate Valentines Day? St Patrick's Day?

A lot of my friends who are Muslims and Hindus still celebrate Christmas because it is what the rest of the country is doing. They do not do as many presents and they don;t make as big of a deal about it, but it is still celebrated partially because it is so heavily ingrained in British culture.
Asolare
Report 4 years ago
Ah yes, the unique tradition which Christians totally came up with all by themslves and no-one else, yep, impossible, Christianity is just full of original ideas like Christmas.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Christmas is first and foremost a celebration of capitalism and consumer culture. I'm sick of this Christian revisionism that tries to place Jesus above Santa. Get your own damned festival and stop trying to hijack our fun.
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Christmas is first and foremost a celebration of capitalism and consumer culture. I'm sick of this Christian revisionism that tries to place Jesus above Santa. Get your own damned festival and stop trying to hijack our fun.

markova21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Christmas is a messy amalgamation of different aspects from a vast array of origins.. ranging from religions to cultural traditions, to corporate inventions, to smaller scale local innovations from just a single family to a whole town or country. What Christmas means is unique to each person, and can vary hugely just between two families in the same town, let alone people from different countries.

You could argue that yes, those who are not religious should not partake in the aspects of Christmas that come from Christianity (the name, the carols, nativity plays, etc)

However given that we are a people (native British) that are largely abandoning organised spiritual religion in favor of social ideological religions, I would suggest that there is nothing more fitting for the UK, then how we currently celebrate Christmas. Taking part in the religious side, but not for the religious reasons is very apt.

For me personally, I am religious, and I love both the religious and non-religious sides of Christmas. I would suggest that the idea that religious festivals become exclusive, and are not for those who are not of that religion, is a very un-christian idea in principle..

Id also add this song:

Its a good summery of the conflicts of modern Christmas for many..
I LOVE Tim Minchin.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No Christmas is a part of my British culture
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.85%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
28.02%
No (54)
26.09%
I'm not sure (27)
13.04%

Watched Threads