Motorbike - license/learning Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Interested in maybe learing to ride motorbike than a car at first and getting license, got few questions.

(Sorry if there is a section for motorbikes - feel free to move)

My questions are:
Where can I find an instructor/place to learn to ride motorbike?
Is license same as what would get for a car?
When I decide to move to drive car, I assume will need to take test/lessons to learn to drive car?

Thank you
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
local paper would be an idea? or telephone directory
no, there might be one somewhere to make it both on one but its not something i can think of
you would yes but you might have a better knowlage of road rules and signs
jaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
licence is different, but if you have a car provisional licence, you just have to take compulsary basic training (cbt) and can drive a 50cc moped if 16, or if 18, up to a 125cc bike/moped.. full licence you have to be 21 (could be wrong) for and is a different test than driving test.. driving's supposed to come more naturally if you have a bike first too
</gibberish>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 725308)
My questions are:
Where can I find an instructor/place to learn to ride motorbike?
Is license same as what would get for a car?
When I decide to move to drive car, I assume will need to take test/lessons to learn to drive car?

Thank you
1. Check the DSA's site, i personally found BCMT(Black country motorcycle training) to be great but that would depend on your location.

2. No, it isn't; you must complete in the following order:

-CBT, costs about £90 and takes roughly 5 hours (Now ride 125cc <14bhp @ 17 years old)

-Motorcycle theory (even if you have done your car theory)
Costs about £28.50 and is sat at DSA approved centres, you can book this online at https://pt.dsa.gov.uk/tests/tests_E/...rocessing.asp#

-Motorcycle training/practical test
You can now, at 17, ride a bike with any engine size with a power output <33bhp.

Alternatively, if you are 21 or older, you may do what is known as DAS which allows you to ride a bike of any size and any power-output. (This stage replaces the one above, CBT and theory is still necessary)

3. Yes, the 2 require different licenses so different tests apply. However points on your motorcycle license will also apply to your driving liscence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads