The Student Room Group

Product design swimming goggles

Hi, I am doing my A2 product design course and the project I have chosen is a self timing swimming goggles. I have posted my design brief below for you to see, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to communicate the timings to the swimmers the water through the goggles? Thank you!!! I intend to design and manufacture a prototype of a pair of self timing, automated swimming goggles:
This product will be a pair of self timing swim goggles. This will use signals broadcast by the starting equipment to automatically start a stopwatch located inside the goggles. The user will be able to see the time progressing, and will model their swimming and pacing off of the stopwatch. The product will automatically stop the timer when the swimmer has finished, and then will display the time until it is automatically reset by the starting equipment.
This product is needed as when swimming a user does not know the time they are swimming at, which will effect their pacing of a race. With a stopwatch in constant view, the swimmers pacing can be drastically improved and will allow them the swim to a higher standard and at higher speeds. This will give athletes more information about their current achievement and will allow a greater rate of improvement.
This product will be designed for use by competitive swimmers and people undertaking aquatic activities for fitness. For the competitive swimming market, users will be from the ages of 13-30, of all sexes. The users will be interested in the aquadynamic efficiency of the product, as this will effect times and results of the swimmer. For the leisurely market, the user will be aged from 18-75. They will be interested in a comfortable fit, due to use over long periods of time. All users will also have differently size heads and differently shaped eye sockets.
This product will be used at any time. If used for training, the goggles will be either used early in the morning or from mid afternoon to evening. If used in competition the goggles will be used at selected times throughout the entire day, but will not be used at night. For training use the goggles will be in operation for a maximum of three hours, due to the lengthy aerobic sessions in the water. For use in competition the product will be in use for a variance of times, from less than a minute high speed races to lengthy swims in open water long distance competitions.
The product will be used in large bodies of water. If used in a swimming pool, the goggles will be submerged in chemical solutions of clear water. If used in a lake or river, the goggles will be submerged in murky and dark water, and for use in the sea they will be in contacted with salt water. The goggles will be used in a light open environment, and in temperatures of around 5-35ºC.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler