Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got the laptop specification from Cambridge last week and have been asking around... I've been told the Acer Aspire AS5633WLMi meets it and is about £7-800 :eek: I'm prepared to spend this if it will do for the course...

This is the specification I was given by the Uni, I've searched on google but can only find very little and not one with 1.83GHz. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to get one asap so I can figure it out before i go- I'm no computer whizz!!

· Minimum CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz)
    · Minimum Memory: 1GB Ram (2GB is preferred)
    · Minimum Screen: 15.4” XGA (1280 x 800) Screen
    · Minimum Hard Disk: 40GB (80-120GB are becoming the norm)
    · Optical Device: CDRW (DVDRW allows greater storage)
    · Graphics/Video Card: Be aware that “onboard” graphics cards often utilise main memory which can prove to affect performance
    · Network: Wireless and/or LAN (54MBps wireless and Gigabit LAN connections are currently available)

Thank you
    Emily

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm not a genius of computers, but if you are doing a Architecture course then from experience i would not buy a Acer computer, secondly UNI people say lot of things, but does't mean u have to listen to it...

If i were u i would go for...

2 GHz CPU
    1GB Ram
    40GB Hard Disk (More would be nice for Architectural software)
    DVDRW
    500MB or more graphic card

I might have misunderstood your question, but if you wanna know the spec then these are the things you should have...

Sorry if have answered anything wrong.

ReputationRep:
    you really need 2gb ram, and the software you're running won't consume more than 20gb of hdd space, but you will need an external drive to store your work as the psd, pdf, jpg files etc get quite heavy when you're working on large format. plus you need to backup to dvd so you don't lose your work - computer crashing and losing everything is no excuse before a final crit - you will still be failed, so you need to back up and back up again all the time.

graphics card is important. for the price you are talking, you could get a 17" dell insprion 9400 for about 600 quid, either on ebay or from the dell outlet store, and that would give you a 160gb internal hdd and 2gb ram. much better than acer, which, in my opinion are a pretty poor brand.

Oh, and AVOID getting a machine with vista installed too - get one with XP Home of better pro. Dell are still giving you this option when you specify your machine.

ReputationRep:
    I would join jrhartley in suggesting getting 2gb of ram, and I also went for a 17 inch screen so that I can see big drawings better. In my humble opinion you don't need to go as high as a 2GHz duo-core processor either!

Out of interest, why do you suggest not getting vista jrhuntley???

ReputationRep:
    predominantly because vista is so SLOOOOOW its unreal. I upgrade my laptop from 3 years ago, which was running xp pro to a core duo 1.83ghz 2gb RAM version of the same series (inspiron 9x00) - and the new system (which had vista home premium pre-installed) ran slower than the old machine running xp pro. That's pretty incredible isn't it. When I turned off all the features that make it look like vista (so it effectively becomes xp pro again) it was still running slower. Combine that with issues such as the inability to repartition your hard drive (vista wasn't letting me reduce C: below 80gb, which is a bit absurd for an OS partition), inability to copy files across without coming up with "Out of Memory" warnings, having to disable UAC to actually get anything done, the list is endless. Do a search on amazon.co.uk and read the reviews there. Its atrocious, not ready for market yet. I totally reformatted my computer and reinstalled XP Pro, and I'm so happy I did, its saved me so much time in operating speed, now my computer is really flying (as you'd expect it to given the spec).

I tried also doing a dual boot for Ubuntu as I'm very nervous about microsoft's ability after vista, but it looks like you need a lot of time to get linux working wlel on your computer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help!! I've settled for a Dell.

Emily

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2007

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.